Ask
    Bill Terry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Is it necessary to rake leaves
    Is it necessary to rake leaves
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 03:03 PM
    You've probably heard that lawns, too, have to "breathe," and that they can be smothered if a thick layer of unshredded leaves is left on top of them over the winter. That is true, but it is only part of the reason why we rake lawns.

Most lawns in the Northern U.S. are composed of one or more cool-season grasses. "Cool-season" lawn grasses are so called because their prime growing time is during those periods of the year when moderately cool weather predominates. Fall is one of those times. Blessed with sufficient sunlight, nutrients and water, and enjoying temperatures that are neither too cold nor too hot, cool-season grasses such as Kentucky bluegrass revitalize themselves in fall. This is when they must "make hay," if you'll pardon the pun.

But a thick layer of fallen leaves can impede the growth of these grasses. Why? Because they can deprive the grass of one of the key elements I mentioned: sunlight. If not raked up, a thick and/or matted layer of fallen leaves casts excessive shade over the grass below. You don't have to rake up every last leaf; a shortcut is to mow, so as to shred left-over leaves.

You can read the thoughts of Bob Vila in this link: Raking Leaves
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 04:20 PM
    I perfer to mulch them up, call me lazy, Until I moved this month had a acre lawn and never raked one year. Always had a great lawn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who leaves the house during divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Can my husband kick me out of the house before our divorce is final? We have three children at home.

Ex boss slanderous and continues to rake me over the coals [ 2 Answers ]

I worked for this guy small business (>3 employees including the owner/boss) for 3 years. Really liked the job and the boss up until about the last 6-9 months. He began weekly accusing me of doing side work and even called our supply houses (I do HVAC) and asking them if I have made any...

Roommate just leaves [ 5 Answers ]

Can a roommate who never signed the lease just leave? He told us two days before that he was moving out. One night he just brings a friend over and they start taking his stuff out. He didn't tell us he was moving out that night. Only two days notice. Is that legal? What are our rights?

View more questions Search