Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdehrlich Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 08:14 AM
    AC runs continuously with fan in ON position
    When I put my electronic thermostat to the FAN position, the AC runs continuously (even if I have the HEAT/COOL switch OFF!).

I have checked the wiring on the thermostat and on the furnace control connections -- it all seems to be correct. Could it be a faulty thermostat?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 08:33 AM
    It could be that the control wire for the fan "G" is shorted or touching the cooling wire "Y" either in the back of the thermostat or at the furnace or in attic.

Aug 7, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by acetc
    It could be that the control wire for the fan "G" is shorted or touching the cooling wire "Y" either in the back of the thermostat or at the furnace or in attic.

OK -- thanks. I will check that more closely.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 08:59 AM
    My guess is that it is probably not your thermostat.
    J Costa Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Aug 7, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdehrlich
    When I put my electronic thermostat to the FAN position, the AC runs continuously (even if I have the HEAT/COOL switch OFF!).

I have checked the wiring on the thermostat and on the furnace control connections -- it all seems to be correct. Could it be a faulty thermostat?
    If you have your fan in the in the on position and not auto your a/c will run all the time.

Aug 8, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by acetc
    My guess is that it is probably not your thermostat.
    I checked and you are correct -- it is not the themostat (I had an old one I hooked up). Also, no wires shorted together. Any other suggestions?

Aug 8, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J Costa
    If you have your fan in the in the on position and not auto your a/c will run all the time.
    Unless I am mistaken, when the switch is in the FAN position, the FAN should run all of the time and the AC compressor should still only run when cooling is called for.
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Cdehrlich, you are correct the a/c will cycle and the fan will run continuously, if the a/c runs continuously then try disconnecting the two thermostat wires going to the outdoor unit , if it still runs then the contacts in the outdoor unit might be stuck together (this happens) Turn off power when trying to fix contactor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump AHU fan runs continuously [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Trane Xe1000 heat pump. Recently I noticed that the fan keeps running continuously even when the outside unit turns off. It's as if the tstat fan switch is set to On (it's not) instead of Auto. I tried a few things: 1) In the tstat (weathertron) I disconnected the fan...

AC fan runs slow, but switch to heat fan runs normal [ 3 Answers ]

The other morning I came into the house and noticed the ac was not working. I turned off the breaker to the unit for a few minutes. Then turned it back on. Went to the thermostat pushed it over to auto and the fan came on but ran very slow. I them turned it off. Then turn on the heat, the fan...

Hot water continuously runs into expansion tank [ 6 Answers ]

I have an indirect water heating system and the hot water from the tank is running into the central heating expansion tank, it does not fill up and go down the overflow so I caan only assume that the central heating water is leaking into the hot water tank and going out of the overflow into the...

Sizing pipe for natural gas and fan runs continuously [ 2 Answers ]

Folks, I've got a couple of question concerning a Goodman Furnace GPG13: 1. This furnace is rated at 138,000 BTU. My gas meter is a 2 pound system. The furnace is about 20 feet away from the meter. Currently I've got 1/2" pipe connected to it. Is this right? Or should I use 3/4" pipe? How do...

Outside fan runs continuously [ 5 Answers ]

This is a very helpful sight and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a fairly new house (5 years old) and I am having some problems with a Carrier unit. At the end of this summer it started tripping the breaker on very hot days and we called a technician whom found nothing wrong. ...

View more questions Search