Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    idowntownmtown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 10:43 AM
    Mint leaves turning black brown
    Hello,

I live in a downtown apartment and I often have guests that come over rather thirsty. I like to think of myself as an upcoming mixologist so I thought keeping fresh mint around would be indeal! I purchased some plants one day at the local grocery and came across the following: chocolate mint, orange mint, parsley, and jalapeņos. I figured having plants in the house is easy... and boy was I wrong. They are just like children but that's enough of my backstory. The two mint plants are doing the best out of all the houseplants out of these four weeks. I know I have been overwatering the plants because the lower leaves are yellowing, and I did not know about finger testing... (No excuse) . I got desperate and decided to buy a big pot for the orange mint and also transplated all the plants into fresh soil. I did not bleach the pots before transplanting and reusing, but Instant success!! Now it is day three after the transplant and the choc. Mint leaves are starting to brown around the edges. LIke I said... I got desperate so I also bought Miracle grow and added a half tablespoon to almost a gallon of water and watered each of the plants with the new mixture. The pots have decent drainge and the orange seems to be doing better now that it is in a big pot, but the bottom leaves are still yellowish. I'm worried that my choc. Mint is going to die of root rot. Can someone help me develop my mint so that they can flourish?
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

May 21, 2013, 11:27 AM
    Over-watering and they might not be getting enough sunlight.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 21, 2013, 02:21 PM
    Dry brown or wet brown?

Here's one test to see if you are watering just right: put a pot in a flat pan and add just 1/8" water. If it's super thirsty, it will be gone in a few seconds. If it's overwatered, it will just sit there. If it's just right, it will drink it in about 5 minutes.
    And yes, mint needs sun!
    idowntownmtown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 02:39 PM
    Both sit in the kitchen facing east in two different windows. They both get morning sun until about seven in the evening when the sun is setting. Next week when I do my water test and watch to see if the water sits there or disappears in a couple of seconds. Thanks a lot! @joypulv and @smkanand

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaves on mint plant dying, what to do? [ 14 Answers ]

My friend recently gave me a potted mint plant, but since I got it, the leaves have been dying. I saw that "rust" fungus is a common issue on mint plants, but mine does not appear to have any rust spots. Here are the Symptoms: * Leaf tips on leaves, especially older leaves turning black....

I have a ethan allen dining set with 6 chairs and 2 leaves in mint shape. I can't ma [ 0 Answers ]

I have a ethan allen dining set with 6 chairs and 2 leaves in mint shape. I can't make out the name of the set there's a number 3070201 "royal charter oak" stamped on the bottom. The 6 chairs (2 with arms) are style # 16-6011-0 in 67488 fabric. HOw much should I sell this set for?

Plant leaves turning brown around the edges [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wave petunia in a hanging basket, and several other plants in window boxes, and some of the leaves are turning brown on the edges... any ideas why, and how I can stop this? I've fertilized a couple of times, keeping the soil moist, but not soaking, and not drying out.

Cucumber leaves turning white [ 1 Answers ]

Cucumbers have just germinated and now the leaves are turning white. What causes this?

View more questions Search