Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pepsichallenge Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Sued in one state, live in another
    I was sued for a loan that originated in CA, the claiment states on 9/31/04, which there is no such date (30 days in Sept) Anyrate, I live in FL now, claiment served my last residence in CA a few months ago. When I visited my son in CA I checked the records and see that the claiment got the default judgement. I filed a motion to vacate based on improper service and statute limitations (4 years in CA). Do I need to appear for this or can the judge make a decision based on the evidence without my presence?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsichallenge View Post
    I was sued for a loan that originated in CA, the claiment states on 9/31/04, which there is no such date (30 days in Sept) Anyrate, I live in FL now, claiment served my last residence in CA a few months ago. When I visited my son in CA I checked the records and see that the claiment got the default judgement. I filed a motion to vacate based on improper service and statute limitations (4 years in CA). Do I need to appear for this or can the judge make a decision based on the evidence without my presence?

I would ask the Court Clerk - when you filed the motion to vacate didn't they give you a Court date? Sometimes the evidence stands on its own, sometimes not. Of course, once it's set aside it would be reserved and refiled - what is your defense?

I understand the date on the papers is a non-date but how is that date mentioned and I'm not sure that's a material flaw in the papers.

Jan 3, 2009, 10:45 AM

I mailed in the motion with a fee waiver. I live in FL. I claim in a declaration that I was improperly served. And when and if I am properly served, the claim will fall outside of the SOL.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 10:47 AM
    I mailed in the motion with a fee waiver. I live in FL. I claim in a declaration that I was improperly served. And when and if I am properly served, the claim will fall outside of the SOL.

The Statute on a written debt is 4 years in California, 5 years in Florida, I believe.

The papers were filed with the Court outside the Statute? It's not when they were served, it's when the papers were actually filed.

Jan 3, 2009, 10:57 AM

When I looked at the file at the court house in CA, it contained only the judgement. NO documents or witness testimony was in that file.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 11:00 AM
    When I looked at the file at the court house in CA, it contained only the judgement. NO documents or witness testimony was in that file.

So you don't know when it was filed or (allegedly) served or if there was permission to serve at a last known address?

Jan 3, 2009, 11:07 AM

After contact with my old landlord in CA after the case went to court, I was able to look at the order. The order suggested a loan made 9-31-04. I checked the court file and no evidence is in it. I filed a motion when I got back to FL.

Jan 3, 2009, 11:08 AM
    It was filed 9-28-08

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driver's license from a state, live in another state, work in a different one [ 8 Answers ]

I just moved from MI to NYC but I will start work in NJ. Is the lease that I started for a place in NYC enough to prove my NY residency? Or do I have to also change my driver's license (which currently is from MI)? I am basically trying to figure out how to avoid having MI taxes still deducted...

Sued over a car I sold. Snd he served me at a address I didn't live at anymore! [ 7 Answers ]

Riverside,Ca So in Feb. 2005 I sold a car. I put as is in the blill of sale but I also stated that if the car doesn't pass smog that would pay for the part needed to pass smog. The individual I sold it to broke the car days later and never had a chance to smog it. That being said, he wants me to...

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

Work in one state, get taxed by the state I live in [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Michigan, but I work in Indiana. My company taxes me Michigan tax. While filing my state return do I have to also file an Indiana state tax?

Work and live in one state and paycheck comes from another state [ 2 Answers ]

I receive my paycheck from PA but do not live or work in that state yet. May relocate soon. Should they be deducting PA taxes from my check?

View more questions Search