Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flaurieda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Joint cellphone contract termiated early.Am I responsible for fee?
    While My son was at NationalGuard training,his "partner"on their cellphone contract ended the contract three weeks before the 2 year contract expired. She's being forced to pay the early-termination fee but is threatening to take my son to small claims court .Can she do that?The phone co. says that since SHE had the authority to change it+did than she's the one responsible for it.what is the minimum amt a person can take another to court for?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Joint account, she can go after 1/2 of the fee's.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Feb 23, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Either party to the contract would sue the other for costs incurred by one but owing by the other.

If your son is sued he may want to plead that the plaintiff knowingly created and assumed these costs.

In the alternative, he could argue the plaintiff failed to mitigate her damages by seeing the contract through to its end. (Ie. It would have been cheaper for her to pay for three more weeks of service than terminate the contract early and as such your son should only be responsible for half of the costs of three weeks worth of service.)

While we are unaware of any minimum in any small claims court the courts do no like to be bothered with very small matters (ie. Those under $50 for example). It is even possible to have a case dismissed if it is truly trivial and the time, costs and court resources involved far exceed the value of any claim (ie. A claim for 25 cents would be worth less than the paper it was printed on).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal fee/filing fee as misc expense [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I and my husband intend to file joint return. We will itemize deductions. We have some H1 and employer based filing fee and attorney fee for our green card. Can I deduct that under misc. deductions ? Since it is employment based, it is not a "personal" legal fee. Which forms should I use...

I want to break of the Joint lease, Contract is 2 years [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We are in dilemma, My daughter is renting an apartment with a roommate, the contract was for 2 years ending Apr 2009, things did not go well with the roommate and now we want to terminate the contract, we talked to the landlord asking for a room assignment, landlord agreed on the idea but...

Am I still responsible to pay for breaching contract? [ 6 Answers ]

A couple of months ago, we gave our childcare provider notice that we would be moving our young children from her care effective January 1st so they could move on to preschool. By mid November, our child informed us that the provider had spanked her for having a toileting accident. Although our...

Is it legal for TX apts to charge late fee PLUS concession fee? [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in my apt complex going on 5 years. Last month I was late paying my rent a couple of days because I was out of town on business. When I got back and called to get the total amount due, it was an outrageously high amount of money. When I asked him to break down the charges, he said...

View more questions Search