Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hobolabo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 03:15 AM
    Natural stone veneer
    I'm planning to build a split face granite stone wall around my garage. Can anyone give me the ratio (shovels of sand, cement and/or mortar) to add for the mix. It's been years since I laid up a stone wall and don't remember it for sure.
    Also, any tips on cracking a stone, such as how to read the grain would be appreciated.

Thanks, Howard
    jsnbrd Posts: 26, Reputation: 4

Apr 7, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hobolabo
    I'm planning to build a split face granite stone wall around my garage. Can anyone give me the ratio (shovels of sand, cement and/or mortar) to add for the mix. It's been years since I laid up a stone wall and don't remember it for sure.
    Also, any tips on cracking a stone, such as how to read the grain would be appreciated.

Thanks, Howard
    Ingredients
    You can buy ready to mix mortar in a bag or mix the constituents on your own. I prefer to mix my own. When you mix your own, you can control the ratio of them. Pictured above left are the 3 main components. From L to R, Portland cement, Masonry cement and Sand. I prefer a mixing ratio of 1:0.5:3. Type S cements are stronger than type N and should be chosen. Soft sand is also desired over gritty sand when doing stone work

Masonry cement provides a strong bond as well as being able to deal with freezing and thawing. Portland cement supplies flexural strength and adhesion
    CKP Mix Mortar - 21k

Check out this link for more information on stone types and hydration
    jsnbrd Posts: 26, Reputation: 4

Apr 7, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Sorry didn't see the link above..
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 7, 2007, 05:54 PM
    If you plan to use sand and portland cement... the standard above-ground ratio is: 5 parts sand to 1 part portland cement. If you plan to add lime to inhibit mortar shrinkage as it dries... add the lime at the same ratio as the cement: 5:1:1.

I would use pre-mixed mortar mix, though... it usually has a "plastic" ingredient that helps to prevent shrinkage and cracking.
    hobolabo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 03:10 AM
    Thanks to all on the reply for the mixture ratio. I'll be starting it in the next couple weeks and appreciate the help.
    Thanks,Howard

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

10 Stone 8 Pound [ 17 Answers ]

Hi , I'm nearly 15 years old and I weigh 10 stone and 8 pounds I would really love to get back down to about 9 stone is there anyway I could do that? :(

Natural stone shower stall odor [ 2 Answers ]

I installed a custom shower 44" x 84" about 2 years ago. The shower floor is 2"x2" natural slate and the walls are 4"x4" porcelain. The shower floor has 2 drains and one of the drains is sloped perfectly and it works well. The other drain has a problem in that a small 6" x 6" section in front of...

Replacing/repairing Veneer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I just purchased a secretary from a second hand store. I am not sure of the wood; however, it is a majestic and heavy piece. I noticed on the drawer fronts that they are veneer and are not in good shape. I'm thinking about removing the veneer and replacing it. Is this something a novice...

Veneer [ 2 Answers ]

I have found an old trundle sewing machine. The veneer has been water damaged and is going to have to be replaced. I want to know specifically how to put veneer down, how to cut it so it fits exactly, how to glue it and anything else I need to know. pollyscrab

What is the difference between Veneer and Porceline Crown? [ 1 Answers ]

One of my front tooth has turn blacked after a few years of root canal. I have sought help from one dentist. He suggests me to have a verneer tooth instead put on a crown. However, my dentist could not get the technician to produce verneer tooth that with the similar color to my other original...

View more questions Search