Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    katiemae88's Avatar
    katiemae88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 6, 2014, 11:33 PM
    Taking custody of a child where to start
    I had a 17 year old girl who I have know for three years come see me after almost a year of not hearing from her and she is 8 months (we think) pregnant and has not seen a dr the entire time she has gotten into meth and is a daily user. She wants me to take full custody of her baby if it survives. I know that the little guy or girl is going to have some major health issues and I am need legal custody so that the mother doesn't take the baby into a bad situation. Where do I start? What do I need to do? TIme is of the essence because we have a month at the most!
    stellawinslet's Avatar
    stellawinslet Posts: 13, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Jan 7, 2014, 12:58 AM
    I think the best thing is to reach some local lawyer for step by step guidelines, I think this is not a big task as it will be easy for you or anyone. Your thought is correct that you should take the full control legally to save her from any future issues.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Jan 7, 2014, 02:40 AM
    If you are in the US, laws vary by state.
    The first thing you do is have a DNA test done after the baby is born, so that you can petition Family Court for custody if you are the father. If you are just a concerned friend, you can talk to the hospital social worker when she gives birth. The baby will probably be put in state care immediately. You might be able to be temporary guardian while you work out the child's medical needs and your ability to be a foster parent, or an eventual adopting parent.
    You may have 18 years of serious medical and mental problems to deal with.
    I wish you could get her to a clinic NOW.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jan 7, 2014, 12:50 PM
    You have two choices, you can foster the child as long as social services agrees or you can adopt the child. In either case, an attempt must be made to locate the child's father to make sure he doesn't object to either.

    If she is that far along, then the first thing is to contact social services and let them know you want to foster the child. With a high risk child like this, they may not have a waiting list. Once you get approved as the potential foster, nothing further can be done until the child is born.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to start the process of getting my child's custody and permission t leave the stat [ 2 Answers ]

Just recently my x and I broke up been in the process of that and I have more opportunities by moving back home from Omaha to Santa barbara and I wanted to know what to do to get my child's custody and permission to leave with her outa the state, he doesn't no want me to take our child far so he is...

If I have custody of 1 child and my wife has custody of 1 child is money involved? [ 1 Answers ]

If I have custody of 1 child and my wife has custody of 1 child is money involved?

Self supporting mother is taking to court by abusing exs father for custody of child [ 3 Answers ]

Can a grandfather be awarded custody of a female child if mother has no police record, no drug or alcohol abuse, and is self supporting?

Taking custody of adopted biological child [ 1 Answers ]

Almost 2 years ago my children were legally adopted by their paternal grandparents. Now the grandparents do not want the children and say they are relinquishing their rights to dhs. In the past year I have been to rehab and to jail. I have straightened my act up now. Do I have any chance of...

Can I get custody of my unborn child if the mother is taking drugs? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in the state of Kentucky, and my ex-girlfriend is pregnant with my child. I know for a fact that she's taking drugs(pain pills) that are not prescribed to her. I want to know if I can get her drug tested and get custody of the child, because obvisouly she doesn't care about the child...

View more questions Search