Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Jan 25, 2005, 12:47 PM
    Subject and verb agreement
    Are these two sentences correct regarding subject and verb agreement? I am having trouble rationalizing why the second should get "are."

1. A small percentage of people is severely color challenged.

Subject: percentage. Verb: Is

2. Some 5% to 8% of males and 0.5% of females are born with various degrees of color vision deficiencies.

Subject: 5% to 8% and 0.5%. Verb: Are

Thank you.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jan 29, 2005, 12:03 PM
    The second sentence has a compound subject. Hence a plural verb. The %s and modifiers may be confusing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by reinsuranc
    Are these two sentences correct regarding subject and
    verb agreement? I am having trouble rationalizing why the second should get "are."

1. A small percentage of people is severely color challenged.

Subject: percentage. Verb: Is

2. Some 5% to 8% of males and 0.5% of females are born with various degrees of color vision deficiencies.

Subject: 5% to 8% and 0.5%. Verb: Are

Thank you.
    Pauljacob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Hi
    You are absolutely correct.

In the first sentence you have a single subject .It is appropriate to use a singular verb"is".
    " A small percentage of people is severely color challenged"

If you look at the second sentence you got two subjects and clearly a plural verb "are" should be used.

"Some 5% to 8% of males and 0.5% of females are born with various degrees of color vision deficiencies".
    :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Errors in verbs followed by verb words [ 2 Answers ]

Incorrect: It is essential that you are on time. Correct: It is essential that you be on time. Incorrect: He suggested that we should meet at the train. Correct: He suggested that we meet ate the train. Please can you tell me what is the logic behind using "be" instead of "are" in the...

Off the subject... joke... [ 7 Answers ]

~ Michael invited his mother over for dinner During the > meal, Michael's mother couldn't help but keep noticing how beautiful > Michaels's roommate, Stephanie, was. Michael's mother had long been suspicious of a relationship between > Michael > and Stephanie, and this had only made her...

Verb tense agreement [ 1 Answers ]

In this sentence: If you are a creative person by nature, or are interested in applying high-tech visual tools and programs to enchance your career, take a closer look at MU's graduate certificate and Master of Science in Multimedia Technology. Do we need the second are as in are interested.

Subject choses [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I need help to find out what subjects I need to study for Forensic science and how long will it take me and where can I study it. Thanks

View more questions Search