Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tykescribe Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jun 15, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Remains of newborn after 20 years buried
    This is research for fiction. If a newborn child (born alive then smothered) was buried secretly in the local cemetery, 20 years later would there still be bones to exhume?
    The baby was wrapped in a blanket
    Buried hours after death
    There was no coffin.
    The secret grave is now covered with brambles, what sort of soil brambles grow in, I do not know.
    The depth of the grave was about a foot to two feet.

Thank you!
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Jun 15, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Bones are very tough and hard to break down, and if this were someone 20-40 years, I would say that there would definitely be SOMETHING left, but it would just depend on the conditions. It would depend on how wet the soil is, how "healthy" it is based on the amount of microbes, and how small the bones were. A healthy adult (after adolescence and before menopause) has fairly thick, strong bones. But an infant is born with several bones that have not undergone calcification, therefore they are still made up of cartilage.

Small infant bones are mainly composed of cartilage, therefore, I would infer that there wouldn't hardly be anything left over 20 years if anything at all.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 04:21 PM
    The long bones would remain and the skull/mandible as well, the epiphyses (ends of the long bones) and many smaller bones such as phalages and the metatarsals (fingers and foot bones would probably be missing/unpreserved due to the non-ossification.
    tykescribe Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jun 16, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Thank-you, that's amazingly helpful
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 05:30 PM
    There also could be possiblely, bits of clothing, the snaps from clothings and some other items.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glove box light remains lit [ 2 Answers ]

2001 Ford Explorer - Glove box lamp remains lit all the time. Any secrets on this one? Unable to remove lamp.

Gas valve remains on [ 3 Answers ]

I have a coleman evcon gas furnace mod.7970c856. I have problems with gas valve staying on after thermostat kicks out. It also over heats without limit switch kicking it out.how can the solenoid in the valve still have power? Its not the valve or the thermostat because both have been replaced 3...

Dismissed in BK but lien remains [ 4 Answers ]

In CH13, charges of 1400 for a dept store bill were dismissed by judge. During court, my atty failed to "make a motion to dismiss" And now I owe 3400 dollars-as a lien on my home. It includes the original 1400, interest and atty fees. I called atty who wants to go to court which I am afraid...

How many grams of which reactant remains? [ 7 Answers ]

Okay I'm stuck in South Korea where I can't find any chemistry books and this question is driving me nuts!! Can someone please help? Chlorine dioxide, ClO2, has been used as a disinfectant in air conditioning systems. It reacts With water according to the reaction: ClO2 + H2O ---> HClO3 + HCl...

CPU Usage Remains at 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, I discovered the CPU usage on one of my PCs will not fall below 100%. I've attempted everything I can think of to resolve the issue, including: - Running Ad-Aware SE - Performing an online scan from Trend Micro - Performing an online scan from Panda Software - Running Registry...

View more questions Search