Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gabbi041 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Cloudy fish tank water
    Hello,
    I have a 5 gallon fish tank that I set up on may 15, on may 18 I put in 3 glo fish and a live plant. It was fine for a week or so then the water started to get really cloudy. I realized I had been really overfeeding the fish so I cut back to one feeding every other day and the water got almost clear, then it clouded up suddenly and I realized the roots of the plant were dissolving and though it was still green, the plant was clearly dying so I removed it completely. Following the advice of my local pet store I did a 30% water change and it was just a cloudy the next day as it had been. The cloudiness is white and smoky looking. I have tried nutrafin cycle, I treated the tank once then again the next day and it didn't seem to change anything. I had the water tested at the pet store and they said the water is completely fine. The tank is open top so water evaporates out quickly so I add about 10 ounces of tap water every other day. I had been using tap water conditioner when I added the tap water but the pet store guy said to stop using it because it might be making it worse. So now it has been over a week with nothing added to the tank, only little bits of untreated tap water. I was doing weekly 10% water changes and using a vacuum to clean the gravel but now I'm even afraid to do any more water changes, I thought just leaving it completely alone would help but it hasn't... I'm at a loss about what to do, the fish seem fine but I can barely see them unless they are near the walls... please let me know if anyone has any ideas about what I should do to fix my tank water
    Gamed Posts: 269, Reputation: 29

Jul 10, 2012, 12:16 PM
    My tank used to fog up until I got a couple sucker fishes they clean the tank for you ,and get water filters to put in the tank so it cleans helps clean the tank and makes it easier for fish to breathe
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
    What kind of filtration system do you have in the tank?
    Gamed Posts: 269, Reputation: 29

Jul 10, 2012, 08:05 PM
    EHEIM Classic External Canister 40 gal tank
    gabbi041 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
    It's a tank called a fluval chi... I'm using the pump filter that came with it, it uses a sponge and a carbon filter, I've changed the carbon one last week but I've only been rinsing the sponge one in dirty tank water
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 08:45 PM
    My first thought is that you are over feeding them but you say you are being careful about that. So what comes next? Filtration. I'm not real familiar with the Fluval set up but if it's like many other all in one tanks, the filter is probably not all that good.

It may help if you get a tank vacuum and clean the gravel as there may be food remains in it. A small catfish may help to keep the bottom clean if this is what your problem is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy fish tank water [ 7 Answers ]

Hi guys! About a week ago we had incident with our fish where a young relative tipped an entire container of fish food into our goldfish bowl. She didn't tell us she had done it and we didn't notice as the fish bowl was at my partners mothers house while we were relocating. We attempted to...

Cloudy Fish Tank [ 6 Answers ]

I set up my new fish tank in Oct. The old one kept getting mold in it (I believe because it was really old). It wasn't my tank, it belonged to my husband. (I got married last year). I understand that the new tank has to cycle, however; it still has not cleared up. I was doing partial water...

Cloudy fish tank [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a 28litre tank and have been running it for two days now with no fish in.I use the filter that came with the tank and have put nutrafin water conditioner and biological aquarium supplement.but when I got home today the water was cloudy . Is this normal and will it go away and when will...

Cloudy fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my fish tank 2 days ago I feed them very little in the morn. And very little at night... I use bottled water that they gave me at the store with the fish... yesterday morning the tank was cloudy I can't even see half of the fish only when they come to the front... what seemd to...

View more questions Search