Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CGCLEANER Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Can't get to home page
    I have a dell laptop with windows 2005--it was working fine 3 days ago.
    Today I turned it on a blue screen came up and said checking computer function, testing all systems, everything passed, then it said can you see the colored lines ? Type in yes or no, the keyboard will not function. It says you can press escape to abort , or reboot, but escape button will not work either.

I have rebooted, took battery pack out, tried it off the ac adapter and still the same thing, does anyone know what could be wrong, and have any suggestions on how to fix it.

Thanks, angie
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Jan 8, 2009, 02:02 PM

Try booting to safe mode first...
    When booting, hit F8 repeatedly until yo see the choices.
    Select Safe mode.

Does it work? Try a regular reboot after..

Also you can try doing a repair.

Put the XP cd in, then when booting, as soon as you see the dell logo.. hit DEL (or is it F2? F12?) Enter Setup
    Find where it says boot order... change the boot order to make the CD-ROM first. Save & Exit.

When prompted - hit a key to boot to the CD.
    Follow the instructions to do a repair.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 05:24 PM

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.
    CGCLEANER Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 09:23 PM
    Hi ,
    Thanks for responding, I haven't added or deleted any software or hardware, I used it a few days ago with no problem, but now as I stated in ? I just get the same message each time I try and turn it on, any more suggestions?? Thanks, angie
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 10:10 PM

Do a system restore to before problems started, 3 or 4 days ago

Go down till you see this and follow instructions

How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state
    How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

Choose a date when this was not happening and your system will restore back to that date when there were no problems

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home page [ 3 Answers ]

hi I accidentally downloaded somesort of active x thing since then I have been stuck with a blank page as my home page and it won't let me change it . Cheers

Home page,how ? [ 4 Answers ]

I may be out of my depth,but I wish to make my home page (mail2web) an advertisement for my business. 1/ Can this be done? and 2/ How does a beginner like myself start the process? Thanks in advance for ANY assistance,it is greatly appreciated. Cheers FnOzi.

Home Page different on IE & Firefox [ 2 Answers ]

I have noticed my Yahoo home page is different in Firefox & IE. What would the reason be for this? How do you change these pages to look the same?

Hijacked Home Page [ 3 Answers ]

My Home Page is continually hijacked. I have run all the latest updates for SpyBot and Adware6 (As of July, 31, 2004). They have removed an incredible amount of "junk" from my computer however I still get a homepage listed, res://gvwda.dll/index.html#44272. I have to enter "Tools" and manually...

Help me with home page... [ 1 Answers ]

I have big problem with my home page... when I start up my comp it is always same home page ------------------------------>go.targetsearch... a can fix it in internet tools but if I turn off my comp an again turn on----again that page?? Please help... This is probably the most frustration I've...

View more questions Search