Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Melanie A Simpson's Avatar
    Melanie A Simpson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 8, 2006, 09:23 PM
    When and How do I file Child abandonment
    My name is Melanie Simpson I live in Washington State Spokane County and I have a one year old daughter with my ex-boyfriend who has not seen her since she was a month old. HE says he will sign his rights over to me for her but than he falls off the face of the earth for almost a year and now since I have his number he won't call me back. I am not receiving any support of any kind from him nor do I want this all I want is him not to be able to float in and out of her life like he does his five year olds. Is there any way that I can file abandonment papers so that I can get full custody of her?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,272, Reputation: 7690

    Nov 9, 2006, 08:50 AM
    You need to file for full custody and get a order of child support against him. ( this does not sign his rights away, since normally the courts will only do that if there is someone else to adopt the child ( new husband)

    The court often does this, since if you were during the life of the child have to go on to public assistance, they can go after the child's father for part of the cost of assistance for the child.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,473, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Nov 13, 2006, 07:04 PM
    I presume you have full custody. Has he ever been proven to be the father? Not saying that he isn't, but if he's never been adjudicated as such by the court then legally he has no rights as it is. If he wants, he can petition the court for visitation, present proof that he's the father and agree to start paying child support. Then the court will issue a visitation order which you'll then be bound to. But if that never happens, then the child is yours, free and clear and he has no claim whatsoever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment of a child [ 5 Answers ]

I have a sixteen year old niece that is being raised by her widowed mother. She has one more year in high school and is the captain of her dance team at school and does very well in school. Her mother grauated nursing school 3 years ago and just recently has been accepted to a physician assistants...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband is taking me to court for abandonment,how can he do that if I never left for more than 2 weeks at a time.and also in 1997 I have court papers from when he would up and leave me and my children for no reason and that's not abandonment.the only reason I left before was he would always...

Abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

Can the mother of a kid give the kid to the father for 10 months at a time and not have to do anything for the kid or even see the kid, would that be abandonment?

Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 8 year old daugther that her real father has never seen her and I was wondering how long does it have to be before she is considered being abandon even if he is paying child support? Please help I am very confused:confused:

View more questions Search