Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    sdustashes's Avatar
    sdustashes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 26, 2007, 08:49 PM
    What steps do I need
    I am 8 months pregnant. The father does not want anything to do with the baby. He has denied the child in the past, but is now willing to give up parental rights. He resides in New York and I in West Virginia. Does he need to sign the birth certificate? What other steps are involved with him giving up his rights?
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Jun 27, 2007, 03:52 AM
    My question is, do you want child support to help care for the baby ? I don't know the ins and outs of this procedure but if he doesn't sign the birth certificate then find out if you can come back on him for child support.
    sdustashes's Avatar
    sdustashes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 27, 2007, 07:01 AM
    No I am not interested in child support. I don't want anything from him. The sooner he is out of our lives the better.
    wendalyn's Avatar
    wendalyn Posts: 8, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Jun 27, 2007, 07:24 AM
    If he is going to sign his rights away do not have him sign the because. I had my son and his father was going to do the same never did though and we had him added to it later. I didn't have any father down on the BC. If he signs his rights away you will need a lawyer to draw up papers. Also child support is null and void with their rights signed away. Most lawyers will give you free consultations I really would talk to one. I know they told me when I was going to do the same that the papers were only a couple hundred to fill out so not too bad but things changed and he never signed them. I really thought he was going to be a horrible dad we split up when I got pregnant and that was 10 years ago. He takes my son every other weekend now which is 3 hrs away and has turned out to be a pretty good father. When I was pregnant I hated him just make sure you are doing the right thing where your child is concerned.
    sdustashes's Avatar
    sdustashes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 27, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Thank you, it is just that he doesn't even claim this baby as his. He doesn't have a job, and he has another women pregnant that is due only months after me. He is claiming that child. I am going to speak to a lawyer about it though.
    tawnynkids's Avatar
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111
    Senior Member

    Jun 27, 2007, 12:01 PM
    You don't actually need a lawyer. Don't list him as the father, don't have him sign anything agreeing to paternity and he will not be acknowledged as the legal father. He will have no rights - none to take away. Because until he is established as the legal father he is recognized as a legal father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the 6 steps of the Scientific method? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering what are the six steps of the scientific method?

Steps to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am getting married in May. I have a daughter that I adopted from the foster care system as a single parent. My husband to be wants to adopt her. Does anyone know what are the steps to take? We would very much like it if he could adopt her the same day of the wedding if possible. We...

View more questions Search