Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    broke_broken_man's Avatar
    broke_broken_man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 11, 2007, 06:22 AM
    What rights do I have, common law relationship, Ontario, Canada?
    I have been in a common law relationship for over 16 years and left her 6 months ago. We have 2 children together ages 14 and 8 almost 9. I purchased a condo 7 years ago and the deed is in my name alone. I have been paying for all household bills and condo fees as well as the groceries. She has not worked for over 12 years and the child tax credit go towards maintaining her personal credit cards and in the meantime I have not even been able to maintain the minimum payments on my own personal credit cards. I need to know, can I sell the house even though she is still in the house with the kids. She has made no effort to even seek employment since I have been gone and up until last week I have continued to pay for all expenses in the household, so my kids don't go without. This is the first time in many years I have not been able to make a payment on my mortgage or condo fees. I am broke, I cannot even get my own apartment so that I can see my kids on a regular schedule and have overnight visits on weekends. What do I do? I have offered her 50% of the proceeds of the home, but when I go over to see my kids she runs a hides in the house. Locks herself in the bathroom or basement until I leave. She has had her bags packed for over 2 years now and has not made any attempt or effort to move out. The kids see the packed suitcases everyday. HELP ME PLEASE.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Jul 11, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Hello broken dude:

    I don't know about our good neighbors to the north. But, I don't see the courts up there treating a father/home owner much different than they would down here. Actually, they might do better. But, if you never get in front of a judge, you're screwed!

    This all goes to say that you need representation. You needed it years ago, and you probably forwent it because you didn't have the money. It was a shortsighted move. Don't be shortsighted again.

    I know, I know - I heard you - you're broke. That doesn't change anything. Do you want to be broker??

    If you shop wisely, you'll find someone who you can work with. There are an awful lot of unemployed lawyers.


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy in Ontario Canada [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I live in ontario canada. I am just wondering.. If you are a full time employee. Can they garnish your wages or will they for that matter.. if you do plan on going bankrupt. And how long does it take to be able to take out a load through a bad/good credit place for ex. A car loan??

New Law coming in about common law spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I understand a new law will be coming soon, to protect the common law spouse. Given similar rights as if you were married. Can somebody help!! I would like to know the date when the law will be in place and what this will entail?

Common law relationship [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in a common law relationship for 8 years. We purchased a house 8 years ago and it was bought in her name due to my credit rating. I took care of all the household bills and she did mortgage, daycare. It looks like our relationship is almost over and she says I don't own half of the...

Common law benefits or rights [ 3 Answers ]

I lived with my boyfriend for 20 years in New Jersey. He recently died. Am I entitled to his social security benefits? We have a child together who is 25 years old. I can prove his residency with me for all those years.

View more questions Search