Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    MIZZCHRISTIE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 4, 2010, 11:46 AM
    What if the father refuses to take a paternity test when I know the child is not his?
    I filed for divorce 5 years ago from my ex-husband... He signed our child's Birth Certificate and I know our son is not biologically his child. He refuses to take a paternity test and I want him out of our lives. I told him over 4 years ago that our son was not his... He still refuses to take a paternity test and my lawyer told me that it's been too long now and there is nothing I can do about it because my ex is still paying child support and seeing my son. What can I do?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Nov 4, 2010, 06:03 PM

    I would assume your attorney is right, it varies by state ( if in the US) in some states the actual bio father can contest at any time till the child is no longer a minor, in others they can not contest at all, and in some they only have a limited time.

    I respect your husband, he was there when the child was born and was there at the early time, to him the child is his and he is treating the child as his. That is what a real father does,

    So no idea why you want him out of the child's life, he does not have to be in your life, you don't ever even have to see him,
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Nov 5, 2010, 06:10 AM

    As your lawyer said, there's probably nothing you can do at this point. Only a court order can compel your ex to submit to a DNA test. But look at the facts: he signed the birth certificate (which constitues a legal acknowledgement of paternity), he pays support and has visitation. Were you still married at the time of the birth? Why did you permit him to sign the birth certificate? Given the circumstances, convincing a judge to order a DNA test at this point, your chances are slim to none.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can someone get a court order paternity test if the gardian refuses to allow it [ 4 Answers ]

I have a nephew that is 1 yr old. My sister is in prison now but when she got pregnant she was involved with two men. When she had her son the suppose grandmother took in my nephew and later her son took a DNA test and it came out to be that her son is not the father. The lady has filed a petition...

How do I get a paternity test if the father is in prison [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-boyfriend thinks he fathered my child and he wnts to know for himself but he's in prison now

Mother refuses paternity test? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in a situation where my ex girlfriend cheated on me and she recently found out she was pregnant. The child is not due until October, what if she refuses a paternity at time of birth what legal rights do I have? What can I do it could very possibly be mine.

Paternity test for father in a marriage [ 6 Answers ]

Can I have the court who ordered me to pay child support to wife allow me to have a paternity test for children who might not be mine? The court said I was not granted that, but I've tried to pay for my own paternity test, but the mother in question won't grant me access to have test done.

Paternity test I am not the father [ 20 Answers ]

OK my son is 5 years of age and I am now going for a paternity test because of doubts that I've always had if I am not the father what happens to my child support payments and what happens to what I've paid I mean do I get any type of compensation

View more questions Search