Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    stephward's Avatar
    stephward Posts: 2, Reputation: 0
    New Member

    Jan 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
    Wanting to move out of state but daughters father applied for rights
    My daughters father isn't on the birth cirtficate and my husband lives in Florida and I was planning to move then he found out I was moving and decided after 16 months that he wanted to be in her life he never had any interest in her till now and I just want to know if I can leave the state before court. I am also expecting another child and want to be settled in Florida before the new baby comes?
    kcomissiong's Avatar
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

    Jan 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
    You are free to move, but it could detrimentally affect your case. You could be forced to return with your child, and if he has already filed, jurisdiction will remain in the original state unless he moves. You could also lose custody to him entirely if it appears that you are moving to hide your child, or to avoid his exercising his parental rights. You also had 16 months to rectify this by getting a custody order, and just like him, you did nothing. You really need to stay where you are until the case is concluded and custody/ visitation is decided.
    stephward's Avatar
    stephward Posts: 2, Reputation: 0
    New Member

    Jan 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
    I tried to get his rights removed and the lady I talked to about it told me after a year he couldn't do anything because he didn't do anything for his daughter in the past year so not like him I tried to do something but I'm seeing a double standard with the law here for women who raise there children alone then the father randomly wants to see there child.
    Synnen's Avatar
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443

    Jan 12, 2012, 04:10 PM
    You did not take the time when he was NOT using his rights to have custody set up.

    What you should do now is aggressively pursue child support. If the bio father really does not want to be around his child and just wants to punish you, he might be willing to relinquish his rights for your husband to adopt your child. If the bio father really DOES want to get to know his child and it took the threat of you leaving the state with her to wake him up---isn't that a GOOD thing? Isn't it GOOD that the father wants to be involved now instead of waiting until the child was 8 or 10 or 16?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jan 12, 2012, 04:30 PM
    First, did you give kcomissiong a negative (not helpful) rating? If so, can you explain why? Her answer was accurate and answered your question.It may have not been what you wanted to hear, but it was in line with the law in most states.

    I have to agree with Synnen here. You left the father off the birth certificate deliberately. I have to wonder how much effort you made to involve the father in HIS daughter's life. And you have to remember she is his daughter.

    If you move without court permission, the court will consider that contempt of court. How that affects your case I can't predict, but I would think it won't be favorable.

    I also agree with Synnen that you should be going after him for support. That should show you how serious he is about wanting to be a father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried parental rights with father wanting to move the child out of state? [ 3 Answers ]

How about if that is switched? The child was born in Indiana. Both parents are on the birth certificate and went to live with the mother's brother in Texas. After being there a year, the father wants to bring the child back to Indiana. The child (who is only 7) also wants to come back to...

What Happens if my daughters father signs over his rights? [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 3 almost 4 year old daughter. Her father was in the military while he was getting her every other weekend for visitation. He has now moved back home to California, and wants her every other summer. She hasn't seen him in almost a year and from what I think she doesn't remember him. I don't...

Tyring to move on from daughters father [ 7 Answers ]

It's a long story but I'll try to sum it up. Me and my daughter father have known each other all of our lives, we grew up together. We started a relationship years ago dated for 4 yrs in that time he cheated several times, got married and had a son. The marriage didn't even last a year (he dated...

Still married but wanting to move kids out of state [ 13 Answers ]

Hi and thanks in advance for any advice! Up until July 08 my husband, kids and myself lived in PA when we decided to move to LA because his family lives there and he had been laid off and a family member offered him a job. The job turned out to pay less and we couldn't afford our bills so we...

Parents Divorcing, But 17 yr old wanting to move out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I am 17 yrs old and my parents are getting a divorce. They agreed on join custody, but I want to move out of Indiana to Utah to live with family. I'm not sure if I'm old enough to be emanicipated but I want to live with my family in Utah. My father is not giving consent for me to move, but my...

View more questions Search