Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lxa74's Avatar
    lxa74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 11, 2006, 02:16 PM
    visitation rights of the father
    My ex girlfriend will not let me see my 2 young sons. I am paying child support and all I want is to be able to see my sons. What can I do in order to get visitation rights? I would like to pick them up every other weekend at least. What are my rights?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Nov 11, 2006, 03:58 PM
    You need to file a petition in family court for visitation rights. Just paying child support doesn't entitle you to visitation, especially if you were never married. But, unless there is an issue about abuse, I seen no reason a court won't grant reasonable visitation.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Nov 13, 2006, 06:45 PM
    You'll need to petition the court to have a visitation ordered issued. Spell out exactly what you want. Once you get it, stick to it like glue. If she doesn't do the same, then haul her right back into court.
    unsure42's Avatar
    unsure42 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Nov 13, 2006, 10:53 PM
    If you have any thing against your record considering children it could be hard to get visitation. But bring up your case and ask for the things you would like. There will be terms and conditions to your agreement, if the mother doesn't want to give you visitation and you break any of the TaC then she will push to revoke your vistaion. And becareful... to much time in court and a mother telling your kids that you're a bad person (ect.) can hurt the kids, just consider this before pressing to hard for visitation.
    calawmom's Avatar
    calawmom Posts: 13, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Dec 15, 2006, 09:22 AM
    I sound like a broken record on this site, but this issue also depends on the state in which you live. I would, however, suggest mediation in this case first. You can find a family law mediator in your area, or look on for people. If you begin in mediation, you typically do not have lawyers there duking it out, and you can reach an agreement with both sides feeling better about things. I practice both litigation and mediation, and can tell you which feels more like a red hot poker up the a**! Good luck!
    SINGLE4's Avatar
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33
    Junior Member

    Dec 15, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Did you go to court to have child support set? If so, there should be visitation set in the order.

    In cases that I have seen, the judge sets visitation when he set child support. The two go together.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Dec 15, 2006, 11:45 AM
    It would be nice if the person who asked the questin would actually reply to the questions we ask to get more advice.

    We don't know if they have any formal court ordered child support, or child custody order in place. If the support they are paying is court ordered or just what he gives her when he feels like it.

    If there is no official court ordered child custody, then it is who ever has the child can make the rules until there is a court ruling or hearing.

    And if there is a child visitation order in place, then you have to return to court to get it inforced.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Dec 15, 2006, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    It would be nice if the person who asked the questin would actually reply back to the questions we ask to get more advice.
    This happens so often. OP asks a question, the volunteers ask for more info. Some volunteers offer speculation based on the scan info provided. A discussion ensues between volunteers and the OP never comes back to provide the info needed to help.

    Ah well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandmother's Visitation Rights [ 11 Answers ]

My daughter has a 1 yr. old son and she is married to my grandson's father. My daughter will let me see my grandson but her husband says that I cannot see him. I cared for this child from the day he was born until just before his 1st birthday and now I am denied the right to see him. What are...

My son's father, visitation, etc [ 11 Answers ]

I have so many questions and concerns right now, I don't even know what to do anymore! First off, my ex-boyfriend and I have a child together. I recently moved out of his house, and back in with my parents. We were never married, so I know that means that I have sole custody of our son. I'm...

Visitation Rights? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about visitation rights as an aunt. My brothers wife will not allow any of my family to see my nephew without my brother or her being there, but she will allow her family take him for days at a time. Is there something I can do as an aunt so that I can spend a few hours with my...

Should grand parent have visitation rights? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm not married to the baby's daddy and I don't want his mother to take care of my baby because she said when I was pregnant that she was not going to baby sit. I'm working now and she gets mad because I don't want her to take care of my baby. Now she wants to take me to court to get visitation...

Visitation rights [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of a new law about visitation rights for the noncustodial parent? Thanks,Roxpate

View more questions Search