Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Mudstomper's Avatar
    Mudstomper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 15, 2012, 10:07 PM
    Unusual Child Support Situation
    - I paid 22k in child support for the first 8 years of my daughter's life when she lived with her mother. This was a Canadian Support Order. My ex moved to California.

    - I raised my daughter for the next 8 years and received nothing. I finally opened up a support case but when it made it to court in California my ex asked my daughter to come back to her ending the court case.

    - My ex just filed for support against me in California.

    - The years I supported my daughter I was below average income.

    What are my options? Is there such a thing as non-custodial parents seeking retroactive child support. I don't really want to sue I just don't think it's fair that I have to pay again after 8 years of struggling to raise my daughter with absolutely no help.

    Anyone have any suggestions? Thank You in advance.

    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    May 16, 2012, 03:28 AM
    When custody was changed, did you get a court order to that effect? Did you apply for child support at the time? Generally, support starts from the time of filing. While some places do allow for retroactive awards, I doubt if they will allow you to recoup what you never asked for. The best you might hope for is credit against future support obligations. But you will need an attorney to argue that point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tricky child support situation [ 16 Answers ]

A couple years ago my husband deployed to another country and met a girl, he was there for 6 months, two years later she told him she had a child for him and wanted him to sign some papers. He was not sure the child was his so he told her he won't sign it unless she can prove it. She had an high...

Complicated Child Support Situation [ 15 Answers ]

Both my ex and I live in NYS. My ex does not currently pay child support (there is no order yet) and I'm not sure it would be worth it to take him to court. This is the situation. MY ex is now married to a woman who has been diagnosed with cancer. Neither my ex or his wife work. Their only income...

Is waiving rights to child support reversible is your situation drastically changes? [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a divorce decree which my lawyer waived spousal and child support based on gainful employment and sufficient property. At the time my income was high in comparison to my ex. I then was disabled and my situation has drastically changed. My lawyer apparently didn't do a good job of...

Child Support situation [ 17 Answers ]

I am the father of a child... I was never married to the mother. We broke up and the mother is now living in a boyfriends house with the child. Am I required to still pay some child support in this situation?

Unusual situation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Bia! I woul like to ask for help regarding a situation that I can't quite understand... Ok, so I was walking in the street, and there was this guy doing a survey, he came to me as I passed near him. He asked some questions, and after 10m,( with a lot of eye contact) he asked if I...

View more questions Search