Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    thebeavery's Avatar
    thebeavery Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 25, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Uncle and Aunt want legal custody of niece
    My 14 year old grandaughter has been living with my son and daughter-in-law in Florida for the past 4 months. (she lived with me for the 2 months proceeding that) both her mother and father signed papers (not through a court) giving my son guardianship. He is in the Navy and wants to get her on as a dependent so he can get her medical and dental coverage etc. He was told he has to go through the courts to get custody of her before he can do this. I don't believe either parent would have a problem with this as they are both in agreement that they are in no position to raise her (drug and alcohol problems) The parents are divorced and live in different states. How tough will it be for my son and daughter-in-law to get custody if neither biological parent objects? They have a wonderful home and a 2 year old son and I'm sure could pass any inspections by court and/or family services. They are in their 30's and well established in their home and careers. Thanks!
    A Concerned Grandma,and Mom
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Oct 25, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeavery
    How tough will it be for my son and daughter-in-law to get custody if neither biological parent objects?
    Hello the:

    I'm not a bookmaker. I can only tell you that your odds significantly improve with the quality of your lawyer.

    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Oct 25, 2007, 07:32 AM
    I think what will have to happen is either a court will appoint your son (and his wife) as legal guardians or they will have to adopt. In either case, they need a family law attorney to help them wade through the process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Need to know how to get custody of my nephew from an unfit aunt? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother had a son by a lady, that died 4years ago, her sister has guardenship, because the mother had the baby in prison( brother didn't know about the baby then). The mother got out jail got herself together, and the kid moved back in with the mother. Mother never got guardenship back from...

Legal rights as an aunt [ 2 Answers ]

My niece has a 11 month old son who lives with his paternal grandmother. His father died three months ago and the mother my niece is on drugs. The grandmother has taken legal temporary custody of the child. As an aunt do I have any legal rights to this child? Do I have the right to demand...

How can my aunt gain custody of me? [ 3 Answers ]

:) Hi, my name is Tasha and I am 14 years old. My life at home isn't so good.My aunt has invited me to come live with her in Houston Texas. What are the steps for her to gain custody of me? Also how would I go about getting a student visa ?

View more questions Search