Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    westtexascon's Avatar
    westtexascon Posts: 2, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Jan 26, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Termination of parental rights
    I was served a citation for termination of my parental rights today and was needing to know that if I do not volontarily give up my rights would the judge grant my ex and her husbands request. My children our 14 and 16. I have not played a big factor in their lives due to alcohol abuse and being in prison for lots of years. Have been out now for the last 3 years nad still have not been a part of their life due to them not me wanting to come around. Their stepdad wants to adopt them and they agree with it. Ia ma around $39.000.00 behind on child support due to incarceration for lots of years. If I sighn my rights away would I still be liable for that amount or would it be all dropped? Do not want to give them up but if the back child support was taken away it would help me out trmendously. I just don't see giving up my rights if I am still going to have to pay all that back I owe. Would much rather sit in jail with my children still mine then give them up and still have to pay that. Anybody got any advice for me in this matter?
    shygrneyzs's Avatar
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

    Jan 26, 2007, 03:50 PM
    I would doubt you would be excused from paying back child support, but then I am not the Judge. I would say a not much chancel... but what do I know?

    Here are a couple good links on termination of parental rights.

    Family Law Prof Blog: Termination of Parental Rights

    Do both parties have to be in agreement in order for ...

    Parental Rights

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Termination of Parental Rights [ 7 Answers ]

Can a parent terminate their parental rights so they don't have to pay child support?

Voluntary termination of parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just want to know how my husband can do to relinquish his parental rights over his daughter , we have been married for 7 years he recently told me he has a 1 year old daughter Its been hard for me to cope with this problem at first I tought the best thing to do was try and get visitation...

Consesual Termination of Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancÚ has residential custody of his son. The biological mother of the child would like to consensually terminate parental rights to him. Where do we go to look for this paperwork, short of hiring a lawyer? What paperwork would be needed in order to do this mutually between ourselves? We...

Termination of Parental Rights in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Once the parental rights of the biological parents have been terminated, does that mean the relationship of all biological relatives are also terminated?

View more questions Search