Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    jlieneke's Avatar
    jlieneke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 15, 2012, 09:50 AM
    Terminating custody rights
    My husband and I have had guardianship of our 2 grandchildren since they were babies. The birth father has not seen either child in over 4 years and has never given any financial support. The children's birth mother, our daughter, lives with us.

    Do we have grounds to pursue terminating his parental rights?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    May 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
    What custody rights ? He may have right to go to court and ask for visits, ( a visit is not custody)

    Does he have long term prison sentence ? Proved drug abuse ( evidence for court )

    Just not visiting the child or paying is seldom enough to take away a parents rights.
    Next has the mother and the father been ordered by the court to pay support, if you have guardianship the bio parents BOTH should be ordered to pay support. Is there court orders for that. If no, why is there not, he has limited liability to pay anythint unless there is a court order. If there is, has the mother ( your daughter) been paying you support payments also ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminating rights [ 2 Answers ]

I have a very similar case but I have no idea where he lives nor have I received any money since birth, my children are 6&7 now. Would that qualify as abandonment? And what happens if the court can't find him to sign the papers?

Terminating rights [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the same boat about it except the fact is mine wants his terminated and he hasn't had anything to do with the twins in 18 1/2months. I am in the state of Ky what can I do?

Terminating Parental Rights without terminating obligation [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if a father's parental rights can be terminated without terminating his support obligation. I live in Georgia and have sole legal and physical custody of our daughter. At this moment, my exhusband owes me over $45,000 in back child support. He hasn't had any contact with our 12...

Terminating rights [ 4 Answers ]

yes hello my name is tara williams and my best friend told me that even though I have a pfa on my x and he has not seen my son in 6 months in a row and he does not pay child support I can legally take he rights even though I am not yet married again is that true and how do I go about doing it?

Terminating his Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 16 months old and she does not know her biological father. He hasn't been around and he does not pay child support or help me in any way. My fiancÚ has been taking care of her and wants to adopt her when we get married. I am 17 and her father is 19. What can I do to get him to give...

View more questions Search