Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    danielcathcart's Avatar
    danielcathcart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 26, 2016, 08:57 AM
    SSDI Dependent Lump Sum
    I am NCP my daughter is waiting on SS decision as to who will be payee. She is 14 and wants me to manage her lump sum and mom to receive monthly benefits. Both myself and my daughter want that money for her future needs. There is no court orders or DCSS involvement. We stipulated 50 50 custody. I am involved in her daily life available 24/7. I think the only reason she is not getting benefits is because I have asked SS to make me or other family members to be payee for Lump sum. Case Law would be great.

    Thank you.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Dec 26, 2016, 01:39 PM
    How long have you been waiting for the decision?
    Did you state reasons to SS why you wanted you or another relative to be in charge of the lump sum?
    If you have your daughter half the time, it would generally go to both of you - because you both spend money on her support, right?

    I assume that you realize that a minor child gets no money, and that what she wants is not a factor.
    A parent or both parents who have a recorded inability to manage money could be factors, but you say there is no local/state involvement.

    Even if you provided answers to the above, and more details, there are other variables, not the least of which is the holiday time, when gov't workers get time off, and parents are all in a tizzy over where children are going to go, and so on.
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

    Dec 26, 2016, 09:25 PM
    How does SSDI fit in here? There is no mention of disability. Who is the disabled party?
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Dec 27, 2016, 05:49 AM
    THey mention case law which makes me wonder if this isn't someone's homework... because that would be useless to a layman and if this has to go in front a judge they really don't want to DIY this.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Dec 27, 2016, 05:53 AM
    It does sound like the OP is trying to DIY before the SSA. And, if so, that is why this is taking so long. Bite the bullet and hire an attorney who knows how to deal with the SSA.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,687, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Dec 27, 2016, 07:36 PM
    Cant your ex just cooperate and you just deposit the first check that comes from the settlement ?
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Dec 28, 2016, 02:54 PM
    Pardon my disgruntlement, but he won't even state how long they've been waiting, yet wants 'case law.' We are all wasting our time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Last Lump sum [ 1 Answers ]

I was told I can file taxes while receiving disability I just received the last part of my lumpsum Jan 2 do I need to file

Ltd reimbursement with ssdi lump sum post tax payment? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was receiving LTD benefits through his employer for 3 years and just was awarded SSDI and just received a lump sum payment on December 31st for those 3 years. I understand that the LTD will be requesting an "overpayment", which is fine and I understand. However, my question is this......

Can sallie mae garnish back pay lump sum from SSDI for defaulted student loan? [ 3 Answers ]

I have just found out that my ssdi was approved. I haven't even received my award letter yet. I have a defaulted student loan and I'm aware they can garnish my monthly check (once I start receiving it.) I'm going to apply to have my student loan discharged for total and permanent disability but it...

Ssdi for non custodial dependent minors? [ 1 Answers ]

I am on ssdi, and receive a check for my 15 YO daughter. My daughter recently moved in with her father, and I lost primary custodial rights. Can I still receive the dependent's SSDI check, or does it go to the custodial father?

SSDI lump sum pmt paid to insurance company [ 7 Answers ]

HI, I received a lump sum social security payment for back pay for years 2004 through 2007. I had to pay the lump sum to my insurance company since they paid me for those years already. My question is when I fill out taxes, I can claim a credit for the tax in those years since the repayment...

View more questions Search