Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    concernparent's Avatar
    concernparent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 31, 2010, 01:14 PM
    My son, 18 yr old Parapalegic was awarded lifetime. Should I continued paying child S
    My son soon to be 18 yr old is parapalegic unable to feed or care for himself was awarded 10 years ago a lifetime monthly income payments over $3K payable monthly compoundinng annually at 3% last guaranteedd payment is due 09-01-2019 plus Estate development fund $75K on 12/05/10 age 18 then $85K on 12/05/2017 and so on. I'd kept paying child support of $650 per month. Should I keep paying now that he will be 18 years old?
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Oct 31, 2010, 02:28 PM

    You must continue paying until the court terminates the order. In some states child support automatically terminates at age 18, in others, the payor has to apply to the court to terminate the order once the child has reached age 18. Also your situation is different because of your son's disabilities. Talk to a local family law attorney to determine how to proceed in your case.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Oct 31, 2010, 06:00 PM

    It will depend completely on the court order, it is not uncommon at all, for a dependent child ( phsycially or mentally unable to care for themselves ) to have the other parent ordered to pay support for a much longer time, The child's other funding has nothing to do with it.

    If the child is still with the other parent. Both parents may be ordered to pay support if the child is placed in a care facility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Continued child support when child quits school [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York & this is my question... Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments,...

If you were awarded joint cusdity of a child and 10 yrs later find out you are not th [ 2 Answers ]

I was awarded joint custody with child's grandmother now 10 years later find out he is not my biological child so I took him to his biological mother and left him there with her can I be chrged with abandonment. His grandmother refused to allow him to live with her when he was accused of molesting...

If awarded child support during a divorce and the father moves back do he still pay [ 3 Answers ]

If awarded child support during a divorce and the father moves back into the house where the child resides is he still responsible for paying the court ordered child support? I am asking because my ex-husband moved back into the house and would only write a check for half of the mortgage because in...

Can child support be awarded if the child has been abandoned [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are currently sperated and filing for divorce. If I sue him for child abandonment I'm afraid that he won't have to pay child support.

Child support in arrears, non-custodial parent recently awarded SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a case in the Kings County Family Court of New York. The non-custodial parent of my three children has been ordered to pay child support ever since the 90's. He has not paid , and is in arrears ove $66,000.00. In court he claims he can not work or even pay the modification of $25.00 a month....

View more questions Search