Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Snappp__'s Avatar
    Snappp__ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 30, 2006, 03:16 PM
    I need some emancipation...
    My cousin wants to get out of her house (one way or another), and live with her dad. Of course, her parents are divorced. So, should she emancipate or get her dad to go to court? Also, she's 14, soon to turn 15 in July. She says she wants to get out as soon as possible. We live in Georgia, and I'm not sure what the age is when you can emancipate yourself. Also, what process does she have to go through? Thanks.
    CaptainForest's Avatar
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

    Jan 30, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Instead of going the emancipate route, have her father file for physical custody. At 14, almost 15, the Judge will listen to her wishes and allow her to live with her dad (assuming her dad is an upstanding citizen)
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Jan 30, 2006, 07:53 PM
    Legal age to move out in GA is 17 but at 17 in GA you still can not sign any legal contracts. ( never understand how a 17 year old can move out but can not legally rent a place to live.

    Under 17 she would have to have her own income and money to be able to ask for emancipation and it is not likely unless she can show cause.

    If he dad wants to, he can re-file in court for temp and latter physical custody. At her age the judge will take this into consideration, but not 100 percent of his ruling, only part of it.

    She should first just ask her mom to let her go live with her dad,
    Then she needs to ask her dad if he will file for custody.

    And it is not going to be fast, it will take several months just to get a hearing and possibly another month or so to get a ruling.

    Also unless mom and dad are in the same school district it is possible the judge would not allow the change during the middle of a school year also.

    And of course what are the reasons, there is an old story that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Is her mom just being a mom? And often those fun weekends with dad are not the same if she actually lived there.
    mishelly3's Avatar
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16
    Full Member

    Oct 13, 2008, 12:17 AM

    She need to talk to her dad and let her dad handle it from there. THere is nothing she can do accept talk to her parnets about how she feels..

    Hope this helps
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

    Oct 13, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mishelly3 View Post
    she need to talk to her dad and let her dad handle it from there. THere is nothing she can do accept talk to her parnets about how she feels..

    hope this helps

    January 2006 thread - should be closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emancipation [ 3 Answers ]

Daughter is 20 years old. We still pay child support to her mother. She is in college. Full time student. We furnish car, insurance, clothes, tuition, spending money EVERYTHING for her. She lives on campus and attends school during summer. We will continue to pay for school etc. When can we...

Indiana emancipation law? [ 5 Answers ]

My brother's girlfriend has been being sexually abused by her physically handicapped older brother from the time she can remember. Both of her parents know about it and have done nothing. She's 16. Child Protective Services came and took her yesterday, but returned her to her parents' home,...

Emancipation [ 1 Answers ]

My grand-daughter is 17yrs. And 4mos. Old who wishes to be emancipated from her mother we suggested that she live with us to stop the tension, but her mother refuses to allow this because she says its something that the daughter wants. So my question is what can she do? She wants to stay with us...

Emancipation in Indiana [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are the parents of six children; the older three ours and the younger three are an adopted sibling group; they have been part of our family for about four years. The oldest adopted son has been a real challenge to raise, and to cut to the point, left home when he turned 18 and...

Emancipation [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I was wondering if in South Dakota you can get emancipated before you are 16. Because in march I'll be 15 and I was wondering if I can get emancipated without my parents concent? Mainly because I really don't like it here with my parents they just seem to make my life worse and I was just...

View more questions Search