Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nooget Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Do I have a good chance at getting sole custody
    I had a baby almost 4 months ago and the father of my baby beat me up when I was 3 months pregnant I landed up in the hospital due to severe pain and horrible bruises I had almost lost my baby . I pressed charges . When my baby was bron he wanted a perternity test and I gave him one and the baby was his . He is very controlling and I do not trust him to take my daughter alone . He tried hitting me on mothers day and in self defence I threw a punch he is now trying to charge me . I moved and I got child support enforcement involved because he refuses to pay child support unless he get's our daughter alone. He has a bad history with drinking. He will be taking me to court and he is going to try and get full custody of our daughter and try to prove me unfit . I have only been out 4 times since my daughter has been born . I have proof that he has said that he is to independent for a child and all the prfane he has called me . Is it worth fighting for him getting supervised visits to my child and for me going for sole custody or should I trust him at taking this child alone? His mother is constantly harassing me and saying that it ain't right that cory doesn't get her alone . I have taken the baby over to his house lots before the last incident of him trying to hit me and the only time he wanted to see her was when she was sleeping .
    kinks Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

May 24, 2007, 04:24 PM
    You should get custordy, but these things unfortunately are a war fought between eternies. If the guy has a criminal record for gbh on numerous occasions then you should have a very strong case against him, and I am presuming that you have had no previous record apart from self defence in this case.

He sounds like a bad man, but at the same time he still kind of deserves to see his daughter. Best way I think to work this out is to get your 2 eternies together and try to agree a route of action say for instance the guy has to stop hastling you - and his mother, he must have first 6 months of overseen visits, perhaps not by you buy maybe a social worker, and if he stays out of trouble for all of those 6 months then he can start to have unsupervised visits etc.

But you really need to get an laywer and discuss what action they think its best to go for.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 24, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Your hospital record is also good evidence on your side. You need an attorney, but I think you have a good case.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 25, 2007, 08:10 AM
    NO you should not just trust him alone, you should absolutely ask for sole legal and physical custody with, at the very most, supervised visitation to him. We can't say for sure what you will get but in your circumstance that is what I would ask for. Knowing what I do know however, it sounds like you have a good chance, especially if they have mediation in your state. I say that because if you go before a mediator chances are he will show the abuser he is and say something stupid and hang himself before he even ever sees the judge. Get a lawyer!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sole Custody? [ 5 Answers ]

All right, I'm pregnant and due in just over 2 weeks. It wasn't until the last week or so that my now ex-boyfriend decided that me and him should start getting along and being friends, and has started trying to be a part of my life so that he can be a part of the baby's life. I slept with one of...

Getting sole custody [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 6 months pregnant and going through a divorce (though my lawyer is trying for an annullment due to fraud on my husbands behalf). He keeps telling me that he is going to take the baby and that there is nothing that me or my family can do about it. He also called last night and left a voicemail...

Do we have a good chance at getting full custody? [ 9 Answers ]

Here is the situation. His ex filed for divorce 2 years ago. They agreed to have joint custody with her being the primary residence parent. I have kept a calendar for the past year ever since the divorce was finalized. She has turned lesbian and is now living with her mother. The youngest child...

Sole custody [ 4 Answers ]

The father of my daughter is a sneaky bastard, anyhow I just found out he is taking her to greece and my not come back... he has sole custody and they say I have no rights to my daughter... they say they are reserved... I can't afford an attorney and live in another state... anyone have any advice

View more questions Search