Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandrapatino Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Who Gets the Child Support Money
    I currently have 2 daughters with my ex girl and pay child support. My oldest daughter (17 yrs) is not living with the mother but with the aunt (I have proof that she's living there) for over 4 months and not getting a dime from the child support money. She graduating from HS in June and is going away on a 4 year scholarship (September). Can I file for a down modification NOW on the money the mother is getting since my daughter is not in her household and give it to my daughter directly or her aunt? We live in NY. Thank you
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 09:15 PM
    If you have proof of the living arrangements, then I would take that before the court.

I'm not sure about how to answer concerning all of your detail in your question. But, if child support is still going to be an issue for some years to come because of schooling, etc. then I would want to make sure that there is a paper trail to show as proof of money you have paid. And, that would be through the courts or whatever agency distributes child support payments for the children where you live.

I would not be giving any money for child support to someone in person.

Just my thoughts after having paid child support for so many years for two children who are grown and on their own.
    lisa404 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrapatino
    I currently have 2 daughters with my ex girl and pay child support. My oldest daughter (17 yrs) is not living with the mother but with the aunt (I have proof that she's living there) for over 4 months and not getting a dime from the child support money. she graduating from HS in June and is going away on a 4 year scholarship (September). Can I file for a down modification NOW on the money the mother is getting since my daughter is not in her household and give it to my daughter directly or her aunt? We live in NY. thank you
    I just went through this same situation. I am a single mom from NY and my daughter is now 18years old. I learned through the courts that you can put the child support checks under your daughters name once she turns 18, if she is not going to be 18 for a while then have it put under the aunts name. As for money back from her mother let the courts know how long she has been living with the aunt and not getting any money. They will make her pay that money back!

Good luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Yes if the child is not living with the mother you can file for the support to be altered. And I want to say thank you, most come here saying how do I not pay, but you just want to be sure your child is getting the money, I am proud of you for your dedication to being a father.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 14, 2007, 05:33 PM
    I disagree a bit with Lisa. You cannot just start giving the money to the aunt instead of the mom, even if daughter is not living there... Every change has to go through court before it takes place. Over the past 17 yr you probably have had more than your share of courts but it's the only real way. If you don't do it this way... your support will continue to accumulate (on the books of that state).

My ex failed to go to court and it was a huge hassle. They actually took his tax checks and sent them to me. The only course of action (rightfully) was to return money to ex or friend our child stayed with right before they were 18.

Just make a few calls before you do anything. They have my ex as owing thousands... Some rightfully... most not. It's hard to get money back once paid but you will at least know you did things the right way. You may send additional money's to aunt and keep track of all to get state to move as quickly as possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

No child support in year don't want ex to be involved with child. [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has not paid any child support in 1 year. I did not take him to court. I really don't want him to be involved with the child because he has uncontroled mental illness. What rights does he have? My new husband wants to adupt him well that be possible and how? Do I have any rights that well...

Seeking Child Support - Ex Makes Money Illegally [ 6 Answers ]

Before my son was born, his father suggested that we not go through the courts for child support and instead work out an amount between the two of us. I had my doubts as to whether he would actually come through with the money each month, but I decided to give it a chance seeing as he gets paid...

View more questions Search