Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sheri137 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
    New Jersey adult child laws
    My daughter is 24 lives in NY she drove to her( whom is 19), friends house in NJ to go to an event in Baltimore. The parents are now saying he is autistic and should not leave his home unless for college or to work. When he left his home they told him not to come back. Now they are harassing her father at work and me at home because they can't reach them on their phones
    My email is <EMAIL REMOVED>
    Do they have any rights?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheri137 View Post
    My daughter is 24 lives in NY she drove to her( whom is 19), friends house in NJ to go to an event in Baltimore. The parents are now saying he is autistic and should not leave his home unless for college or to work. When he left his home they told him not to come back. Now they are harassing her father at work and me at home because they can't reach them on their phones
    My email is <EMAIL REMOVED>
    Do they have any rights?
    Sorry but I cannot understand your main idea... Who is HE? Who has to have rights?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
    If the autistic 19 yr old is not considered a competent adult, then your daughter could be in trouble for parental interference. But the parents would have to had him declared legally incompetent by a court prior to this. Otherwise he is an adult who can go where he wants.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
    He is not a child, he is 19 and a adult, he is either competent or has been declared by a court not to be. If he is competent then he can walk out and do nothing.

Tell parents where the boy is if you know, or tell them not to call and refusee to talk to them. If they harrass you get a restraining or protective order

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating laws for 18 to 15 in New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

If right now I am 15 and my boyfriend is 18 is this legail?

Adult child eviction laws in Missouri [ 4 Answers ]

I am divorced from the 18 year olds father. They all still live with me since the divorce. It is my home in my name only on the title. The 18 year old does not contribute to the rent or pay any on the utilities, seems to think he is the boss around the house and should not have any rules. He is...

How to evict an adult child in New Jersey [ 4 Answers ]

My twenty eight year old daughter still lives at home and have a very good paying job and does not contribute to the household. I am separated from her father and have two younger children. She moved once and returned within six months, she has no respect for me and comes and goes as she pleases....

NJ Adult Child Laws? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm not sure who to ask. I'm hoping you can direct me. My mother allowed my sister to move back into her home 20 years ago when she became pregnant. My sister never left. No rent or agreement for rent was exchanged. She is now 46 year old. My sister told the family last year that now...

New Jersey "adult child" law [ 2 Answers ]

Is a child over the age of 18 considered a renter in NJ if there is no signed lease. The child has been allowed to live at the residence by the parents, but they now want him to leave. If he refuses, do we have to go through the eviction process?

View more questions Search