Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tblunt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Employee and spouse dies who gets 401k
    My mother dies 20years ago with a 401k left and since then the spouse died, but never claim her 401k. Who does it go to.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 04:15 PM
    Who was the beneficiary on the 401K was there a second one listed. It will go to any secondary beneficiary if listed. It goes to the estate if not
    tblunt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 04:17 PM
    I'm the son, she tried to make me the sole beneficiary, but she did not get the waiver signed by her husband.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 04:22 PM
    Do you know who is holding the 401k at this time? That is who you need to ask. They should tell you if you were listed or not. If his and your name were on it and he has passed then it should go to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you change the name on the deed of your house after spouse dies [ 4 Answers ]

My mom in law passed away last month. My father in law wants to know, does he have to change house into his name? Or does he wait till he sells house? Yes, It was joint and yes they had a will. Thank You

Spouse of an ex government employee [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband was a USAID employee in an American Embassy for 25 years before he passed away . Am I eligible for the green Card?

If you are married and your spouse dies [ 4 Answers ]

If You are married and your spouse dies, his son owes the IRS lots of money can they come after my husbands estate?

If employee dies before paying back 401 k can spouse repay 401 k [ 3 Answers ]

My husband took a loan from his 401K a month or two before he died. The repayment was scheduled through his payroll deductions. Is it advisable for me to repay the loan in full OR can I make monthly payments to the loan as he had been doing OR just continue with the 401K minus what was borrowed?

401K taxes for spouse if owner dies [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to clarify a situational concern I have. I have heard that if a person has a 401K with a former employer and they pass away, the spouse will have to pay taxes on the disbursement as if it were a normal income check. Is this correct, and if so, would this also apply if the person lost...

View more questions Search