Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeannetteypz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
    Do we have to be married for my boyfriend to adopt my kids?
    My kids' father recently tried to give up his parental rights and was told that he could not do anything because we live in different states (he lives in Arizona and we live in California). He said I would have to file the paperwork to relinquish his rights and mentioned something about my boyfriend adopting the kids. My boyfriend is on board with the idea but we are not married. I want to know if he could adopt the kids or if the biological father can give up his rights without them being adopted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 03:48 PM
    California may allow the adoption if you can prove a long term relationship, Most courts prefer married and married for at least one year
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeannetteypz View Post
    my boyfriend adopting the kids. My boyfriend is on board with the idea but we are not married
    If your boyfriend adopted your kids and you two broke up, he, unrelated to the kids, could take your kids away from you. That's why most states insist you be married for a year, to establish a solid family relationship.
    jeannetteypz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 04:02 PM
    Could their father give up his rights without them being adopted?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 04:03 PM
    I don't think so. An expert here will confirm that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2012, 04:19 PM
    Could their father give up his rights without them being adopted??
    Nope. There are thousands of threads here asking the same question, including a sticky note at the top that deals specifically with this issue.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
    Could their father give up his rights without them being adopted??
    Not in most states.

But he shouldn't assume, even if it were possible, that TPR would be the same thing as not having to pay child support. It isn't necessarily so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do you call a woman that is married with kids, yet has a boyfriend on the side? [ 8 Answers ]

Women complain about men being horrible to them, what about the grown woman who has a family and a husband at home who sneaks behind her husbands back?

Muslim, married with 3 kids and still in love with MARRIED ex! [ 1 Answers ]

I am 31 and have been married for nearly 10 years. As I am muslim I could not tell anyone about my ex. We dated for nearly 3 years on and off and he was married at the time but going through a divorce. He was my first in everything and I loved him dearly. He worked down the road from were I...

Now married with 3 kids in Kansas and have 2 kids in Louisiana that I'm paying [ 1 Answers ]

Now married with 3 kids in Kansas, and have 2 kids in Louisiana, I'm am unable to pay my rent because child support are taking almost my entire check. Can't afford attorney. Or to get to court in la. Never got a dna done. But my wages are garnished! What do I do?

Unknown father, can my boyfriend adopt when we get married? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 3 and there is no person listed as the father on her birth certificate. The man that is presumed the father left long b/f she was born and has never been present. I contacted child support services to have them help me locate him. They have done so and now we are going to do a...

Can my Boyfriend adopt my daughter when we are married? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a little girl and she is 3, her bio, father has never seen her or even wanted anything to do with her, he is not on the birthcert. Either. If I get married can my husband adopt my child without her father being involved, do I need a lawyer how long does it take?? Can someone help me...

View more questions Search