Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oakleydiver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 05:08 AM
    Adopt my wife's 5 year old daughter
    Hi we have just finished our marrige papers and my wife will take my surname.. she has a daughter that is 5,5 years old that has been staying with us for the last 3 years... the daughter has the mothers surname( which the mother changes to mine).. and the father is not in the picture only the mother stands as the only parent and he has never even seen the kid... what are the procedures so we can be one family and she can be my real daughter on paper( she already is in life)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2012, 05:21 AM
    Where is this? You would need to adopt the child and that requires the consent of the father.

I trust the mother has filed a legal petition to change the child's name? You can't just change it yourself.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 06:37 AM
    Where this is, makes a difference, in the US, in most states you will have to be married a year and attempt to contact and serve notice to the bio father that an adoption is to take place. It is easier if he will just sign over his rights to allow this to happen, but can be done if he does not showing it is in the best interest of the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I adopt my 18 year old step daughter? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I adopt my 18 year old step daughter with out the biological fathers consent? My daughter is very keen

How do I adopt my 19 year old step daughter [ 4 Answers ]

I am a step father to a 19 year old girl. I am married to her mother. I would like to adopt her and she wants to be adopted. She is American and has lived here in the UK for 5 years. She hasn't seen her real father since she has lived here, in fact she has only spoken to him on the computed a few...

My 21 year old daughter wants her stepfather to adopt her! [ 11 Answers ]

My 21 year old daughter would like my new husband to adopt her. She does not want to be her current last name which is my ex-husband's last name. Can you perhaps tell me what she can do to make this happen? How can she have my new last name?

View more questions Search