Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dognlap Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 02:22 PM
    Estate in lawsuit
    Before my mother passed away in Illinois, she was involved in an alleged automobile accident in the pedestrian zone of a department store. The person sued her several years ago, but the case has yet to go to trial. My mother's house was put into a living trust for myself and my sister prior to this incident. My mother had car insurance, but only up to 100K per incidence (we are represented by the car insurance co). Can we put the house on the market (approximately worth 50K) with the lawsuit being unresolved at this point? We did not initiate probate because of this trust. The opposing lawyer supposedly put some kind of hold on the house per the county government.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dognlap View Post
    ... Can we put the house on the market (approximately worth 50K) with the lawsuit being unresolved at this point? ...
    What do your mother's attorneys say? It looks like the plaintiff has put a lis pendens against the house, claiming that the trust does not completely insulate the house from their claim. We can't answer your questions without a lot more detail.

If they are wrong in their decision to file the lis pendens, they could have opened themselves to for liability for what used to be called slander on title.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 22, 2012, 03:50 PM
    What has the insurance company said of the settlement or what the other party is asking for ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
    AK's answer has me calling my attorney tomorrow because I am setting up a trust to specifically provide insulation from suit. Now I have the questions for him. Great job AK. CAL also brings up a good point, the insurance company knows more than they are telling you. Believe me they will not pay out the first $100K without an offer to settle or a real cat fight.

Apr 22, 2012, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    What do your mother's attorneys say? It looks like the plaintiff has put a lis pendens against the house, claiming that the trust does not completely insulate the house from their claim. We can't answer your questions without a lot more detail.

If they are wrong in their decision to file the lis pendens, they could have opened themselves to for liability for what used to be called slander on title.
    The attorney from the insurance company was just recently assigned to us. We have not had any direct contact yet. I was not sure if my question was an appropriate one to ask her. The plaintiff is asking for damages in excess of $50,000. My mother was issued a ticket from the police department and as I understand it, she pleaded guilty even though she claimed that she never saw the person. The individual walked up to the car and supposedly said "you hit me." An ambulance was called, but she refused to be taken to the hospital. Later she claimed that she had previously had surgery on her leg and that this further injury has caused a permanent, but unspecified damage.

Apr 22, 2012, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    AK's answer has me calling my attorney tomorrow because I am setting up a trust to specifically provide insulation from suit. Now I have the questions for him. Great job AK. CAL also brings up a good point, the insurance company knows more than they are telling you. believe me they will not pay out the first $100K without an offer to settle or a real cat fight.
    Both lawfirms are downtown Chicago outfits that apparently specialize in these kinds of things.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 22, 2012, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    AK's answer has me calling my attorney tomorrow because I am setting up a trust to specifically provide insulation from suit. Now I have the questions for him. Great job AK. CAL also brings up a good point, the insurance company knows more than they are telling you. believe me they will not pay out the first $100K without an offer to settle or a real cat fight.

Just remember to ask lots of questions when you go in for your interview. There are 2 main types of trusts that most people create. On is a living trust and is revocable and the other in nonrevocable. Many rules still apply to both as to asset protection and protection from lawsuits.

Ref:

http://livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/revocable-living-trust/types-of-trusts.html
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 22, 2012, 05:03 PM
    ... I was not sure if my question was an appropriate one to ask her. ...
    Certainly it is. Is the trustee of the trust a named defendant? If so, is this law firm representing the trust? Ultimately, any settlement decision has to be made by the personal representative of your mother's estate, so, it seems to me, a probate case has to be instituted before the suit can be concluded. In fact, I'm curious as to who the law firm imagines they are representing if, as you say, you have not initiated probate.

... The plaintiff is asking for damages in excess of $50,000. ...
    But the limits on the policy are $100 K, right? So only if the judgment exceeds $100,000, will the question of invading the trust come before the court.

Apr 22, 2012, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Just remember to ask lots of questions when you go in for your interview. There are 2 main types of trusts that most people create. On is a living trust and is revocable and the other in nonrevocable. Many rules still apply to both as to asset protection and protection from lawsuits.

Ref:

http://livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/revocable-living-trust/types-of-trusts.html
    This was a revocable trust

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Executor of my fathers estate won't answer email questions regarding the estate Help [ 4 Answers ]

The executor of the estate will not return my email questions regarding the estate. Can I contact an attorney? I have sent 5 emails requesting information regarding the timeshare I am suppose to get. I told her if it was appraised too high I did not want. That was 4 months ago. Now she just ignores...

Insurance lawsuit vs. Personal lawsuit [ 2 Answers ]

My parents recently are trying to work through an insurance settlement for a car accident involving my brother. He was injured. They hired lawyer to assist with the settlement. A sheriff brought a letter to the others involved stating my parents intent to sue. They had thought it was within...

Lawsuit against Grantor's Estate [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My father (68yrs) passed away unexpectedly. His wife died a yr before him (44 yrs old) He had co-signed as a Grantor for his step daughter that bought a new car. Step-daughter let car be repossessed. Car sold at auction, the bank has filed $3200 against dads estate. I understand the bank coming...

Lawsuit by Executor of Estate [ 5 Answers ]

My mother was Power of Attorney for a close family friend. Recently my mother and I have been named in a lawsuit, suing us for bankrupting the estate, theft of the estate, etc. We are absolutely innocent of these charges, they are unfounded and we have a paper trail to prove this. They are also...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

View more questions Search