Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WthrEnth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2012, 04:55 PM
    Is it lawful for parents to force their adult child to stay home against their will?
    A friend/family member of mine wants to move to California from Washington state; she is a legal adult but her parents don't want her to go so they are trying to force her to stay. She is fully capable of taking care of herself and would be staying with family. She would be finishing High School in California (however, it is not needed for her to move to CA. To finish). Is it lawful for her parents to hold her against her will? She said that she would even be willing to try to sneak into her grandparents' van when they returned to California so she could go.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
    Hello W:

An adult cannot be held ANYWHERE by ANYBODY against their will.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2012, 05:02 PM
    She is a legal adult, but hasn't finished high school? How old is she?

But if she is a legal adult she can't be held against her will. Does she have a job? Savings? Why can't she just buy a bus ticket and leave?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can non custodial parent force child to stay with him? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 11, 12 in December 2010. She has always lived with me and has visited her father weekly and biweekly. She is a responsible girl, (Girl Scouts, first aid training, self deffense classes). He has a live-in girlfriend that our daughter does not get along with. Complains of verbal abuse...

Can an adult get back child support from deceased parents ssi? [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible for an adult to get his or hers back support or ssi from a deceased parent? There was never a support order and the father was killed when the kid was a baby and the mother is now deceased...

How to evict an adult child from home? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello - My 18 yr old son needs to figure out life on his own. High school drop out, no job or motivation. He is 6' 4'' and refusing to budge - so how do I go about legally evicting an adult child from family home? Thanks for your advice...

Adult Child At Home [ 3 Answers ]

My 20 year daughter lives at home is attending a JC taking only 8 units works partime at an average 20 hours per week making minimum wage. Her work shift ends 10:00pm to 11:00pm. She drives over 30 miles to school that begins 8:30am. She has a boyfriend who is 22 years old works full time and...

Adult Child evicted from home? [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone know how, in GA, to be sure you can evict your 18-year old drug abusing adult son? I am told that merely telling him to leave (done) and changing the locks (done) is not sufficient. Thanks.

View more questions Search