Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yoliulloa Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2011, 06:22 PM
    Can I file a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction?
    I had a divorce in NM 2005 final decree ordered. My ex filed a motion to modify final decree regarding custody and support. My children and I have lived in California for 4 years. The child support has been transferred to the California division of child support already. Can I file a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 8, 2011, 06:42 PM

If you ex still lives in NM then NM has jurisdiction.

Apr 8, 2011, 07:13 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Why if we are not residents?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 8, 2011, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yoliulloa View Post
    iwhy if we are not residents?
    Here's why.

Apr 9, 2011, 12:11 AM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    Thank you I have read this site, however one example does not make sense in my case.

For an example of #1, the parents divorce in Texas, and mother and children move to Mississippi. The father continues to live in Texas and the children maintain a significant connection to Texas by visiting Texas often and spending their summers there. Three years later father files suit in Texas to modify custody. The mother attempts to transfer jurisidiction to Mississippi. Texas should not relinquish jurisdiction to Mississippi.

In my case the children are not allowed to speak or see their father by court order (final decree). So wouldn't that mean my kids have no "ties" to New Mexico? Just trying to understand because I don't want to file a motion that will not have any relevance.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 9, 2011, 04:37 AM

It may also stand that transferring the child support case to California was illegal. How and when did you get it transferred there?

Apr 9, 2011, 05:24 AM

First, please use the Answer options on the bottom of the page when posting follow-up questions or info, not Comments.

You are hanging your hat on the second part of an example, without reading the law. This is the important part:

A court which has made a child-custody determination consistent with UCCJEA has exclusive, continuing jurisdiction over the determination until either (1) that court determines that neither the child, the child's parents, nor any person acting as a parent has a significant connection with the State that made the original order and that substantial evidence is no longer available in the State concerning the child's care, protection, training, and personal relationships, or (2) that court or a court of another State determines that the child, the child's parents, and any person acting as a parent do not presently reside in the State that initially made the child custody order.
    Since the original custody order was made in NM, then NM retains jurisdiction as long as one parent still remains there.

Now, the example you cite was a precedent set by TEXAS courts. You can try to use that precedent to sway the NM courts. Whether you will succeed or not, I don't know. You definitely will not get a dismissal on lack of jurisdiction since NM still has jurisdiction. What you will need to do is argue in NM courts that jurisdiction needs to be transferred.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 9, 2011, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    It may also stand that transfering the child support case to California was illegal.
    Not always... Every year hundreds of cases are transferred from Pa to other states even though Pa is a home state under UCCJEA.The "home state" has right to relinquish its superior rights under demand...
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 9, 2011, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    Not always...Every year hundreds of cases are transferred from Pa to other states even though Pa is a home state under UCCJEA.The "home state" has right to relinquish its superior rights under demand....................
    The whole point of UCJEA was to prevent State shopping because of child support laws. I agree they can give up rights but if there is an objection then they will retain those rights. Im wondering what circumstance lead to this change. California child support is well known for overstpping the law and using bully tactics to get their way. Even lying isn't beyond their scope.

Apr 9, 2011, 06:22 PM
    The support case was transferred to California because I filed with the California child support division to enforce unpaid child support. I tried to file with NM and they said I couldn't because I wasn't a resident. So California had their attorneys transfer the case with full consent and knowledge of NM. They handle all child support issues and modifications (which by the way I have requested 3 times to modify and my ex refused to provide financial info). Thanks for all your answers but I contacted a NM lawyer and he stated that all custody and support is now legally under California jurisdiction without question. So I will be filing for dismissal.

I think it is so sad that a low life such as my ex can not show up to his own divorce and custody hearing, lose by default, never pay a penny in child support, by court order cannot see or contact his own children yet file ridiculous motions in court. Hopefully laws can be passed regarding using children as a way into someone's life for the sole purpose of harassment.

Apr 9, 2011, 06:26 PM
    so california had their attorneys transfer the case with full consent and knowledge of NM.
    And you didn't think that was information we needed? Had you told us that in the beginning our answers would have been different.

Apr 9, 2011, 06:28 PM
    What information are you talking about?

Oh I see now what you are referring to. I stated it in my original question.

The child support has been transferred to the California division of child support already.

It was stated in my original question. "the child support has been transferred to the california division of child support already"

Apr 9, 2011, 06:53 PM

Yes you said "the CHILD SUPPORT" was transferred to CA Child support. You didn't say that the custody/support case was transferred to CA jurisdiction. What you said implied that only a portion of the case was transferred not the whole jurisdiction. Had you given us accurate info to begin with we could have given you more accurate advice.

Apr 9, 2011, 06:59 PM
    That is accurate info. The CHILD SUPPORT was transferred to ca. nothing having to do with custody has, I have not modified nor transferred the custody. I gave all the information accurately. I am not sure where you read the custody was transferred?
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 9, 2011, 07:10 PM
    i tried to file with NM and they said i couldn't because i wasn't a resident. so california had their attorneys transfer the case with full consent and knowledge of NM. they handle all child support issues and modifications (which by the way i have requested 3 times to modify and my ex refused to provide financial info). thanks for all your answers but i contacted a NM lawyer and he stated that all custody and support is now legally under california jurisdiction without question. so i will be filing for dismissal.
    This is why. Did the custody get transferred to California or not?

Apr 9, 2011, 07:12 PM
    that is accurate info. the CHILD SUPPORT was transferred to ca. nothing having to do with custody has, i have not modified nor transferred the custody. i gave all the information accurately. i am not sure where you read the custody was transferred?

Don't you remember what you write even a few mintues ago? You just posted this:
    i contacted a NM lawyer and he stated that all custody and support is now legally under california jurisdiction without question.
    So what is accurate? If just the support was transferred then NM still has jurisdiction over the custody issues. If both were transferred then you should have said that in the beginning.

Apr 9, 2011, 08:16 PM
    OK let me try to word it differently because clearly you have an issue understanding how I have written my answers. I stated in my original question CHILD SUPPORT has been transferred to CA. so, now DIVORCE DECREE WITH CUSTODY ORDER HAS NOT been transferred to CA. I did not say it had been transferred nor did I say CA had jurisdiction over custody, the NM lawyer I contacted stated "that all custody and support is now legally under california jurisdiction without question" because my children and I have been residents of CA for more than six months. I have not forgotten what I wrote but I do believe you have misread what I wrote because with the quotes you re-posted I still fail to read where I said the custody order had been transferred? I don't know how your answer might have changed from the info you believe was inaccurate, but either way thank you for your help.

Apr 10, 2011, 08:33 AM

Sorry, but the problem is not in my understanding but in your expression. You claimed the NM lawyer told you it was under CA jurisdiction.

if the custody case was not explicitly transferred to CA, then it is still under NM jurisdiction. I think there is a good possibility that you can get it transferred to CA which I think is what the NM lawyer was trying to tell you. But you have to specifically get it transferred it is not automatic. Hence you will not be able to get a dismissal on lack of jurisdiction. Which is what I told you from the beginning.

Apr 10, 2011, 01:41 PM
    The lawyer didn't say anything about transferring the case. He just said exactly if you and the children now reside in California, both cases fall under ca jurisdiction now. Now I am not sure what is right.

I think the only thing I can do is file a motion to dismiss for the child support and a request to relinquish jurisdiction for the custody case. Do you recommend anything else? Do I need specific reasons to request that jurisdiction be transferred?
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 10, 2011, 03:00 PM

Your going to have to quote case law and how it applies here. If it doesn't apply then your application will be rejected.

Here is the full text.

Ref:
    http://www.law.upenn.edu/bll/archive...nal1997act.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction in a child custody case [ 6 Answers ]

I let my 3yr old son go on vacation with his dad that he had no contact with for three years. His dad only had him for a week in VA nad he filed for custody. My son and I have been living in Fl for the past three years. I have spoken to numerous attorneys and they told me that I can file a motion...

How to file motion to dismiss? [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued by my brother over a propery in the U.S I lived there at the time the matter was setteled through Mediation by friends. I moved to Canada and he is suing me for $700,000. His claim is based on he said she said. He is a US citizen all the witnesses live in the U.S.

How do I file a motion to dismiss in NC? [ 3 Answers ]

To summarize, I was served a summons in August of 2009 by Mann Bracken for a case involving Arrow Financial. Arrow Financial is claiming I entered into an agreement with them to pay back money owed on an account they bought. I never entered into any type of agreement with them, nor have I ever...

How to file motion to dismiss [ 11 Answers ]

I was served for a credit card debt that was not mine. I filed a response and sent the plaintiff as set of questions to answer, but he has not responded in over thirty days. I did respond to his interrogatories, I also sent him another list of formal interrogatories as well as a request for...

View more questions Search