Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suga381864 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 07:22 AM
    Child Support
    Hi

My name is Kezia and I currently live in Miami, Florida with my mother. I am a full-time student in college (Miami-Dade College) and I am 22 years old now. My parents have been divorced since I was 2 years old. My biological father has been paying child support since I was 3 years old until I turned 17 years old of $110.00. The payments stop in April of 2002. In June 2002, I recall a conversation that my biological father and I had about child support and we both noticed that they were still deducting from his check for child support payment. He said that he was going to call them and see what the problem is and to see if he could get his money back. He told me that he got back the money which I believe was $950.00.

My questions are:

1) What is the age of when child support payment is suppose to cease? Is it until I turn 25? If so, how do I go about getting it continued and getting back payment of when it stopped in April 2002 until now (December 2006)?

2) How do I go about getting that money he received back in 2002?

3) How do I get back pay because I believed it should have been more money given for child support instead $110?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 02:25 PM
    1. Normally child support ends at age 18. However, certain states (I don't know about Fla. Specifically) require support payments to continue to be made for full-time students, usually until age 23.

2. If you believe you are entitled to back support payments then you and your mother would have to file a motion with the court that originally issued the order to ask that your father be ordered to pay.

3. It's pretty hard to get an order modified retroactively. If $110 was the amount he was ordered to pay (that's weekly, I presume), then that's that. Either party can ask for a modification of the order amount but must show that there's been changed circumstances that would warrant such a modification. If he owes back support because he hasn't paid the $110 every week since the order's been in effect for that amount, then that's one thing but to say that what he was paying wasn't enough if in fact he complied with all the terms of the court order then you really won't have a leg to stand on. Keep in mind that, at age 22, even though he may be required to continue to pay support because of your student status, you're also expected to contribute to your own upkeep by working part time, taking advantage of student loans and scholarships, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child support [ 1 Answers ]

I Lived In Illinios Until 2003 I Moved Up Here To Wisconsin, Of Course My Ex Lived Here To Which We Have Two Daughters Together. He Had Not Seen His Daughters In 10 Years. Of Course Not Paid Child Support In Those 10 Years. I Had An Order Out Of Kendall County Ill Were My Divorce Was Filed. It...

View more questions Search