Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa5424 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 09:08 AM
    Change of name deed?
    Since getting divorced I would like to change my surname back to my maiden name. Do I have to do this legally or do I need a change of name document? I need to change names on things like doctors records, bank, credit cards, driving licence.:confused:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Talk to your attorney - he can put the name change request in the divorce petition and it will be done the same time as the divorce. When you get the final papers - take the original to the Social Security office to request a new card. Note well - take the original, not a copy of the decree. Same for driver's license. Other accounts, ask them if a copy of the decree will suffice. Some do not even ask for that. Once you get your name officially changed, you can make all those arrangements.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2006, 09:13 AM
    Generally, you can call yourself anything you want as long as its not done for fraudulent purposes. So you shouldn't need to do anything in the courts.

I would send a letter to each your doctors and credit cards, infoming them of the name change. For your bank and the DMV, I would visit them or their web site and look for change of name requests.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My name is not on the deed, what now? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I plan on retaining an attorney as soon as I get the funds, but in the meantime, I have questions! We have been married for 4 years, together for a total of 12 years. First thing is our home. We bought it from his mother, no contract-just verbal. My husband took out a mortgage on it...

Deed [ 1 Answers ]

How can I add my spouse to the deed on my house?

Deed [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Add My Name To The Deed To My Home. My Husband's Mother Died And We Just Finished All The Necessary Steps Of Probate. There is no mortgage involved. Thank You Kate

Name on deed [ 3 Answers ]

What do I have to do to put my sons name on the deed to my house

Deed [ 1 Answers ]

My question is: I bought a house about 6 years ago when I was a single mom. Recently I got married and have NOT put my husbands name on the deed. Now my question is, if I decide to divorce him does he have any rights to my house?

View more questions Search