Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommyof2kiddos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Can a 3 yo boy & 2 yo girl legally share a room?
    My lease is up in 2 months at the house I'm at now. I'm currently living in a 3 bedroom and my kids have their own rooms, but the place I want to move into is a 2 bedroom. My question is, is it illegal for my 3 year old son and 2 year old daughter to share a room? I didn't think so, it seems ridiculous to me, but my mother in law and sister in law are both telling me there's a law against it. If I moved into this 2 bedroom, could I have my daughter just sleep in my room, if it is illegal for the kids to share?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 02:07 PM

Not at a federal or state level. Its *possible* that there are local laws prohibiting it but unlikely, especially at that age.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 07:17 PM
    I can't imagine that there would be a 'law' against toddlers sharing a room! If they were 14 and 15, maybe.

Mine at that age slept together, had baths together, ran under the sprinkler in the yard without their clothes on, and giggled all day.

I would think that, age appropriate, common sense would dictate when they need their own rooms, but in this day and age, you're probably wise to check this out legally.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2009, 07:57 PM
    This is a real estate law issue so its been moved to the correct forum.

As noted, there are rarely laws about this. If your MIL and SIL say there are then ask them to quote the statute.

At the toddler age I don't see this as a problem. Once they get near puberty you will need to split them up. But from a parenting standpoint, not a legal one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 08:05 PM

Some landlords may have rules. There will not be state laws.

If you are renting using section 8, or if you are having a home investigation by children's and family services they may have some guidelines.

This is very very common, for several more years

What motive does your MIL have to stop you from moving ?

Is she likely to try and cause trouble for you, reporting you to children services or something for neglect ?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 08:07 PM
    There are "local" laws that prohibit this. In my "neck of the woods" it is illegal for renters, but not for buyers. Now, don't shoot the messenger, I think it is ridiculous, but in Tennessee boys and girls cannot share a room no matter the age.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 10:52 PM
    Hi, mommyof2kiddos!

So, what state is it that you're going to live in, please?

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 08:22 PM

You need to check with the local Zoning Agency. In my state (Ohio) and particular county is is not allowed after the children start walking. Fine if they are under toddler age. Not allowed after they start walking around. Some families where I live have been forced to move elsewhere and they owned their own homes no less. So, be very careful where you intend to move and check this out before hand instead of having to move due to the "county's" zoning regulations. One phone call solves a lot of future headaches and hardships on your part.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where to Buy Rod & Key to Turn On & Off Old Gas Floor Heater [ 0 Answers ]

Where do I purchase a rod and key to turn on and off an old gas floor heater?

Should they share a room? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I am having my younger brother come to live with me from Australia, I have a 3bed house but already have a five year old daughter and a 1yr old son who have different biological fathers, so unsure if they can share? If any of them can share? Council are no help!

Siblings legally allowed to share a room [ 4 Answers ]

I may need to move in my daughter in law and her two children as she is soon to be homeless. I am happy to open my home to the Grandkids and her but our son/her ex will not approve and try to make it hard for us. I want to do things legally, right and upfront to avoid any real problems. Can a Mom,...

When Renting An Apt. Can kids (boy & girl) share a room? [ 1 Answers ]

I get numerous calls from families wanting to rent a 2 bedroom apartment, when what they really need is a 3 bedroom apartment. :confused: Is there a law that states how many children can fit into 1 bedroom (their parents would have their own bedroom)? :confused: Is there a law against a boy...

View more questions Search