Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TFREEMAN6 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Can I get custody back?
    Can a permanent guardianship be reversed? I gave my aunt guardinship of my 2 children 4 years ago so they wouldn't go to foster care when cps took them. I did this because I was told I could get them back once I was back on my feet and I am ready to get them back. I believe I am in a place where I can take care of them now. I need help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2009, 09:24 AM

First, please pay more attention to the posting guidelines for this site. There is a Read First sticky at the top of the Children forum that directs questions of a legal nature to this forum. Your post has been moved for you.

If you believe you have repaired the problems that CPS found, then you can start by contacting them and asking how you regain custody. If they can't help, then you should hire an attorney to petition in Family Court for a dissolution of the guardianship order and a return of Custody to you.

Jun 25, 2009, 09:47 AM
    Thank you and Im sorry about that.

I talked to someone from the Indian child welfare office and they told me that the case was closed and I just needed to make sure that I completed the task in the case plan. The actual cps office told me that I should just leave things how they are. Does it matter that the case was in Arizona and myself, my aunt who has custody and my two kids have lived in Kentucky for 5 years now. Also my aunt gets assistance from the state of Arizona for taking in my kids (its almost like foster care but its set up different because she is a relative) I hope this all makes sense.

Jun 25, 2009, 10:30 AM

Since the original case was in AZ and that has been closed, I would open a case in KY and see what happens. But, again, if CPS will not proceed with restoring custody, then you need to get an attorney and file in Family Court where the kids reside.

Jun 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
    I just want to clarify. When you say open up a case you mean court case not cps case, right. Also if I can't get ahold of a case worker from cps who handles the case can I just move forward with filing for custody? Will this be something that comes up in court about the previous cps case?

Jun 25, 2009, 11:18 AM

No, by "open a case" I mean with CPS. Going through Family Court requires FILING for custody.

You will probably need to go to Family Court eventually because only a court can issue a custody order. But it would be better to get CPS to go to bat for you then to take them on as an adversary.

Jun 25, 2009, 11:37 AM
    I really don't want to have cps in my life again I have a new baby with a great guy now. My aunt that has them wouldn't have a problem with them coming back with me. I just hated the experience with cps it was a nightmare.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get Custody back? [ 2 Answers ]

O'kay here's my story!!! I have had custody of my 3 girls since my split w/ex in 2001. I got into a very bad situation about a 1 1/2 ago. I was severly depressed and started doing drugs. I was a heavy user for approx. 1 yr. My family knew by my behavior that something was going on. Came to my...

I want back full custody [ 1 Answers ]

As a civil action(out of court) I gave temporary residential custody to her grandparents,his parents. It was to help me get on my feet. So I can find a job and a place to live. Well I have a place to live but still no job. The order was very brief with no set visitation times. Now she keeps...

Getting custody of my daughter back [ 1 Answers ]

I am divorced and have four children in my divorce it states that we have joint custody of all four and that I have physical custody of two and he has physical custody of two. Here is were it gets sticky all four have lived with me for two years and no child support and no help and now he has a...

How to I get custody back of my son? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay I'm going to try and get all the facts in a short amount of words... Pretty much that happened was I was 18 years old and had an abussive boyfriend and he ended up braking my 6week old baby's leg... (I WAS IN BED SLEEPING) so while in the hospital with our baby we were questions and the only...

How do I get custody back of my child [ 4 Answers ]

2 years ago I had got my child take away on a false report of child neglect and he was placed with his fathers mother. I was assigned to a case plan and did not complete it and lost my custody of my son and his father was awarded custody. Well now I am able to provide for my son and have been...

View more questions Search