Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needhelp77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 08:16 PM
    How to prove father of my children unfit?
    I am married, my husband has abused me but not the children. He drinks all the time, has been in jail several times in the last 3 yrs ( from spousal abuse to DWI to assault with bodily injury), and is on probation. I have the kids full time right now but he wants to take me to court for full costudy. I need to know what information I need to prove he is unfit.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 08:24 PM

You will have to start some sort of divorce proceedings against him and ask for temporary full custody of the children. If he's still on probation, most likely he's not going to be getting full custody regardless of what he says with a past record like he has.

You need to consult with an attorney about this as soon as possible.

Apparently you are not living in the same house as he is. Does he have a full time job? Does he have a large enough home to accommodate all the children? Does he have someone lined up to take care of them when he's at work? You didn't say the children's ages so it's hard to really answer that one.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 5, 2009, 08:29 PM

As Twinks points out, setting out to prove him to be unfit may not be the best approach. Filing for divorce and hiring an attorney is what you need to do first.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2009, 08:36 PM

Your attorney will use his arrest record, his jail record and copies of all the police reports of abuse.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 06:36 AM

Its pretty hard to prove someone unfit. Not nearly as clean and easy as it sounds.

Like the others have said - you probably should just file for custody and divorce and deal with fitness if the need arises.

Most cases of abuse I have seen involve this situation. Claiming the abuser is going to try to get custody often convinces the abused to not leave or not fight. It is a classic form of abuse. "If you leave me you will lose the kids"

BS.

Make him prove it in court.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 05:34 AM

To add to what Stevectg said - the fact that a person is an unfit husband does NOT make him an unfit father.

People get tangled up in this "question" all the time. It's difficult to understand and I realize that but these are two different issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I prove she is unfit [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I am wanting to adopt my cousin's daughter. She has 3 other kids and I don't think she is a fit mother. How can I prove she is unfit?

Can she prove me unfit? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old daughter and when she was 1 I signed temp custody to my parents so she could have the best insurance coverage so I wouldn't have to have her on a medical card. Now I have a great job with great medical coverage and my mom won't sign custody back. What do I do about getting...

How to I prove he is an unfit parent? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend is an alcoholic and recently become a rage-aholic. I am making arrangements to leave him. But what makes this complicated is we have an 8 month old son together. My boyfriend has a son from a previous marriage who is 6. He takes him to parties, bars etc. Now for my question... When I...

7 Months pregnant , the father wants to prove me unfit [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am 7 months pregnant and the baby dad is my Feince. We have been engaged for 9 months. I do love him and he saids he loves me. But these last couple of months I have been getting the feeling he is cheating. So now Im jealous all the time and thinking he is cheating. I even think he has sleep...

How do I prove an unfit father? [ 2 Answers ]

My son is 13 months old. In the past 7 months, my ex had seen him maybe 4 or 5 times. They don't know each other at all. My ex doesn't even call or help me out with my son. In January 07 I asked for him to sign him over, and he said no. His name is on the birth certificate, but we were never...

View more questions Search