Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelly_21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Signing over his rights.
    Im a young mother of a three year old daughter. Her father has nothing to do with her at all and he never has. Im considering asking him to sign over his rights how do I do so if I don't know where he lives? He is a sex offender this is the main reason I don't want him to have anything to do with her. I checked to see if he was registered so I could get an address but he was not. He is in and out of jail so that's the only time I have any contact with him and that's only bcus he is calling for money. I am engaged to be married and my fiancé wants to adopt my daughter and we were planning to get her last named changed but none of this can happen until he gives up his rights. So where do I get started I'm so lost? I think he will do it voluntarily but I just need to know how to get the paper work started? Do I have to get a lawyer?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 11:31 AM

Generally speaking a father isn't able to sign over his rights unless there is another parent in the picture to sign his rights over to, someone that is planning to adopt your Daughter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 12:36 PM

First normally * not sure of your state* you will have to be married for about a year for him to adopt.

Well some good news maybe for you first if he is a sex offender you may get his rights taken away, along with long time jail can cause it also. Not in every state but in many. Beyond that attempt to find would have to be made to have him sign those rights over.

Your first stop will be an attorney to get the ball rolling
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 04:01 PM

Have you been to court for custody and support yet ? Also you say he is an offender yet not registered. Do you have his name right ? What offense was it ?
    JennSmallman Posts: 6, Reputation: -3

Mar 4, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    Generally speaking a father isn't able to sign over his rights unless there is another parent in the picture to sign his rights over to, someone that is planning to adopt your Daughter.
    Not always does the father who wants to adopt need to sign over his rights as well.. as long as the real father signs over all his parental rights is all that matters.. once the real father does so then the adoptive father may go ahead with the adoption... he does not need to sign them over till he wants to adopt.
    JennSmallman Posts: 6, Reputation: -3

Mar 4, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JennSmallman View Post
    not always does the father who wants to adopt need to sign over his rights as well.. as long as the real father signs over all his parental rights is all that matters..once the real father does so then the adoptive father may go ahead with the adoption...he does not need to sign them over till he wants to adopt.

Quote:
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Generally speaking a father isn't able to sign over his rights unless there is another parent in the picture to sign his rights over to someone that is planning to adopt your Daughter.

That is basically saying the new
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JennSmallman View Post
    quote:
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Generally speaking a father isn't able to sign over his rights unless there is another parent in the picture to sign his rights over to someone that is planning to adopt your Daughter.

that is basically saying the new
    You misread the post, Chihuahua is saying the biological father can not sign over his rights unless there will be someone there that is planning to adopt the child. So he can't just sign over his rights because he wants to. If she is getting remarried and her new husband plans to adopt the child, then and only then can he sign over parental rights. The new parent will not be signing over any rights.
    kelly_21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    have you been to court for custody and support yet ? Also you say he is an offender yet not registered. Do you have his name right ? What offense was it ?
    Yeah we have been to court for support he just don't pay it he has been locked up a couple times for that alone. He has been a sex offender for about two years now he has been locked up for not registering also. But he has failed to register again so he has warents out for him for that. He charges were for indecient liberties with a child it was two children ages 7 and 4 I didn't find this out until we were together for two years. When I found this out I called it quits with him and had nothing else to do with him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signing away my rights? [ 71 Answers ]

I am an 18 yr old male in Michigan . I got my ex girlfriend pregnant right before we broke up. She refuses to get an abortion because she really hates me and wants to do this as revenge in her own words she wants to "take me for every dollar i have" . I have offered to pay for an abortion and she...

Signing off rights ton my son [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any type of free help kit I can get to sign off the rights to my son that I have never seen?

Signing over rights [ 3 Answers ]

I know someone who has recently signed over rights. This person now feels they have made a terrible mistake. Is there anything that can be done? Thanks

Signing off my rights [ 7 Answers ]

I was trap by a girl that said she could never have kids, I just want to know how I can sign off my rights.

Signing over my rights [ 1 Answers ]

What paper work do I need to sign over my rights?

View more questions Search