Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catsgrma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Grandparents filing for custody
    I have had my grandchild living with me for 3 years and I have custody through a noterized statement from her mom but I want to file for full custody as we ( grandparents ) are providing all of her support. Can I legally get custody?
    My daughter has some mental issues and may be pregnant for a 3rd time and it is not a good environment for the 3 yr. old.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2008, 07:50 PM

The notarized statement has no weight of law. A court must grant custody. You should be able to get guardianship at least.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 07:55 PM

No you have no custody except the fact they live there, the notarized statement is not a legal document for custody, Notarized only means it was witnessed and that they made sure who signed it. Since it did not go thought he court and get approved by the judge, it is not a legal custody order at all. So while you can use that in court to show they intended you to watch the children for you. You will need to get the mother and father sign over their rights to allow you to have custody and have this done though the courts.

As long as they do not object and sign the paper work you should have no trouble. Now they may not like having to pay chld support to you, once you are given custody.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2008, 08:06 AM

I would not try for custody. Custody implies a more permanent legal bound and may be harder to get. I would go for legal guardianship.

In either case, you should get an attorney to make sure its done legally and the attorney can advise the best way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents trying for custody [ 5 Answers ]

My husbands mother and father have temporary custody of our 2 sons because we had no where to live. Now we have a 13 month old daughter that has been living with us in our 2 bedroom apartment. We got in an argument and I left with her. He went to mommy and daddy telling them a bunch of lies, now we...

Filing for custody in pa [ 3 Answers ]

Unmarried in pa. father's name is not on the birth certificate (did not sign an Acknowlegment of Paternity, we are going for DNA test through domestic relations. Can the alleged father file for sole custody in the meantime?

Unfit parenting, grandparents wanting custody [ 1 Answers ]

Ok a brief run down. I am in the middle of a divorce with my daughters father. Have been for 18 months now. Her father is now incarsirated and is facing 30 years in prison. Yea, I know innocent until proven guilty. We have a 20 month old daughter together that I have never received a penny for and...

Filing for full custody [ 5 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone knows how I would go about filing for full custody of my son my husband don't know I'm doing this I'm also filing for a divorce too so if you could help me I would greatly appreciate it thanks so much jesbcs

Filing for custody in nh when living in VT [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine recently found out he has a 6 yr old son, the mother moved when they broke up never telling him she was pregnant, and never notifying him when the little boy was born that he had a child! All of a sudden he got a summons to court for child suppot... the child support has been...

View more questions Search