Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xandersmommy08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Joint custody
    If a mother has primary joint custody and the father has visitation, but the mother does not think that the fathers residence is a healthy environment for her child what can she do legally so she doesn't break the court order?
    xandersmommy08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Child visitation
    If a father is awarded visitation for wednesdays and every other weekend, and the mother does not allow him visitation for one of his weekends, can she get in any trouble? And what kind of trouble?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 05:06 PM

First, where are you located? That will mean more than most other things. Why do you think it is unhealthy for the child? You will need proof and a lot of it if you are going to convince a judge to modify the order.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 05:06 PM

No she won't get into trouble but the father can make it difficult for her by keeping on dragging her back to court for not honoring the court order.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 05:19 PM

Actually if she keeps doing this, she can be fined for contempt, I know one where the court has fined them 100 dollars for each missed visits.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 05:21 PM

To change the custody and visit agreements you will have to go back to court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 24, 2008, 05:46 PM

Generally there is no case worker assigned to a custody/visitation issue. If you feel the environment is unsafe for the child, you need get proof of this then go back to court to modify the agreement. If you feel its an emergency situation you can contact your local children's services agency to look into it.

Nov 24, 2008, 05:55 PM

Assuming visitation was "awarded" by court order, then the father could ask that the mother be cited for contempt of court if she does not adhere to the schedule. A contempt of court citation can result in fines and/or jail time.

Nov 24, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Threads merged since they, obviously, deal with the same issue.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xandersmommy08 View Post
    If a father is awarded visitation for wednesdays and every other weekend, and the mother does not allow him visitation for one of his weekends, can she get in any trouble? and what kind of trouble?
    Depends on the state that you live in so we really need to know that. In some states he could come to the door with the police and they will enforce the order. In others he would have to take you back to court for contempt. That could mean jail time for you.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 07:59 PM

Not allowing the visitation most definitely can get the mom in trouble. It's called contempt of court; and, in California it is punishable on the first conviction by a minimum of 7 days in jail or 7 days of community service. On the second conviction its' punishable by a minimum of 7 days in jail without community service as an alternative.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint custody [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Need some legal advice. Share joint custody of son in state of CT. Mother has stated she may want to move to another state!! What are my legal rights? I pay child support Have him every weekend, do all his sports with him, have him every holiday. My extended family adore him , his...

Primary physical custody and joint legal custody [ 2 Answers ]

My son and his wife are divorced now, they have joint legal custody mother has primary physical custody because my son is in the military and he was told that she had to have primary physical custody in order to enroll the child in school. However she doesn't have my son listed as a contact person...

Asking for joint custody [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I have been divorced for 6 years. He had every other weekend and Wed. afternoon visitation. He has always done the weekends but never the Wed( I guess it didn't quite fit into his schedule... ) He recently got remarried to a very nice women who happens to make A lot of money. They are...

Joint custody/joint physcial custody [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I got married in 1993, we separated in 1996, got back together in the same year, My now ex-husband file for divorce in 2000, I did not respond to the divorce, I did not respond due to not getting an court date to appear (divorce papers were served to me while living with ex at the time) due...

View more questions Search