Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xvrene Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Grandparents trying for custody
    My husbands mother and father have temporary custody of our 2 sons because we had no where to live. Now we have a 13 month old daughter that has been living with us in our 2 bedroom apartment. We got in an argument and I left with her. He went to mommy and daddy telling them a bunch of lies, now we are back together and his mom wants to try to get custody of her. This happened only once since she has been born. We have to move to KY from VA for my husbands job, now doesn't she have to file in KY since that is where we are going to be living?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 05:53 PM
    If you have a stable place to live and a stable income and are able to provide for her then I don't even see her getting custody. She would have to prove you are unfit, negligent or a danger.
    I would think she would have to file in the state your are living in.
    xvrene Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
    See the thing is that I have an older child that social services took from me and put him up for adoption because I could not provide a plce of residence for him. With me having a CPS case they are trying to tell me they can use that against me, that was 7 years ago, would that not be kind of like double jeapordy in a way? I mean our daughter is very well taken care of I am with 24/7 because I do not work and I breastfeed. She is happy and will not go to no one else but me ( she will not even go to daddy).
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 06:07 PM
    They are trying to scare you. They can not take your kid now off you because of circumstances from years ago unless maybe they were circumstances concerning unfit parent -abuse type issues. If they do try tell the case workers/Judge that that was 7 yrs ago that you could not afford to keep them because of circumstances beyond your control at that time and now you have gotten your life together.
    I know lots of girls who had a baby when they were 13 and then another at 15 and another at 18 and another at 20 and they were all treated as individual cases. Unless you have something in your files stating YOU are unfit they have to determine the case NOW and state founded or unfounded. They even took my two sons and left my two daughters and it was one single case.
    I think the grandparents are just using scare tactics to make you feel it would be simpler to just hand her over.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 07:25 PM
    As for filing they would file in VA for sure. Unless they plan on waiting until after you have established residency there which takes some time (time varies in different states). The fact that you already had one child taken and two more with them can be used against you in court. However, child services themselves will treat it as a separate case those facts will be looked at by a judge to deal with this case. When you move are you taking your sons with you or will they still have custody of two of your three children?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords
    As for filing they would file in VA for sure. Unless they plan on waiting until after you have established residency there which takes some time (time varies in different states). The fact that you already had one child taken and two more with them can be used against you in court. However, child services themselves will treat it as a seperate case those facts will be looked at by a judge to deal with this case. When you move are you taking your sons with you or will they still have custody of two of your three children?

They would file in your State of residence, not where you INTEND to establish residence.

And your past history is part of your all over parenting profile so, yes, it will be considered. Minimally you may be monitored.

I'm sure you don't need the preaching but maybe you should consider not having any more children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unfit parenting, grandparents wanting custody [ 1 Answers ]

Ok a brief run down. I am in the middle of a divorce with my daughters father. Have been for 18 months now. Her father is now incarsirated and is facing 30 years in prison. Yea, I know innocent until proven guilty. We have a 20 month old daughter together that I have never received a penny for and...

Grandparents Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I'm wondering what kinds of rights Grandparents have to a their grandchild if they have never meet the grandchild. The Grandmother in question has had the parents of the child arrested and pressed charges against them numerous times. I've tried google-ing the laws on this and several other things...

Grandparents [ 3 Answers ]

What rights do grandparents have regarding contact to their grandchildren?

Grandparents rights [ 2 Answers ]

My grandson has been living with me & my family since December of last year. He was only suppose to stay here for a short time until his mother(my daughter) got on her feet. Well needless to say she hasn't come and gotten him yet. She has not been supporting him at all, my family and I have been...

Grandparents [ 1 Answers ]

I am a mother of a 14 month old daughter. I work full time as a therapist. During my time at work my mother cares for my daughter half-the-week and my mother-in-law the other half. They both watch my daughter in our home. I very much want my daughter to have a good relationship with both sets...

View more questions Search