Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvdiesels Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Children verses the law with their parents?
    How do I legally not live with my mom. I am 16 years old?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
    If you wish to live with your father he will have to make application in court for your custody. If you mean just moving out, you will have to prove that you can care for yourself, earn enough money to pay all of your own bills and have a reason to show why you need to move out.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 05:58 PM
    What state are you in? Different states have different laws concerning emancipation. If the case is that you want to live with your father then as Chuck said he has to petition the court for a change in physical custody.
    luvdiesels Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 08:08 AM
    There Is No Father. We Live In Fl . Mother Is A Meth Addict. She Had Not Seen Her Daughter Since She Was 5. Left Her Then With Grandmother. I Do Not Know Why The Family Did Not Get Her For Abandonment Then. Now She Is 16 And Met With Her Mom Again After Mother Contacted Her In Feb 08.
    She Is Homeless Lived With Her Girlfriend And Girfriends Mother For 1 Year.
    Mother Stated Neither One Got A Job The Whole Time And Told Them To Leave.

The 16 Year Old Has Been Passed To Family Members All This Time. I Knew Her From My Son Dating Her In High School. They Are Still Dating. Because I Knew Her, I Agreed To Pay For The Mother And Daughter To Come Here. I Put Them Up In My Investment Property For 2 Months Free, W/the Agreement That She Get A Job And Get On Her Feet. Supplied Everything They Needed For A House Off The Street(free Stuff) To Get On W/their Lives. Soon I Had To Move Them Into My Other Property Because It Got Rented. Another Month Goes By And Ive Found Out A lot About Her And Her Friend, Because She Decides To Move Her Girlfriend Here W/her 2 Yr Old Daughter. Another Month Goes By.
    No Jobs, None Of My Bills Were Getting Paid, Told Them They Had To Go Because I Needed The Place To Get Rented To Pay My Bills. Now I Got Her To Sign Over Power Of Attorney To Me For Medical And School Until She Is 18 In Case Something Would Happen Or She Would Need My Help. She Is An A-b Student. Wants A Job. And Never Wants To See Her Mom Again. The Family Members Had Told Her All This Time Away From Her Mother That She Was An Alcoholic, Drug Addict And Whore. Now She Has Found This Out On Her Own And Believes Them. She Wants To Know How Or What She Can Do On Her Own To Not Have To Go Back With Her Mom If She Comes Back To Our House And Says You Are Coming With Me. Her Mother Is Now 7 Hrs Away In Another Town.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Not sure the power of attorney is enough. You need to get yourself appointed as guardian for the 16 yr old. Either that or she has to prove she can live on her own to get emancipated. For that she would need to show she has a job, a place to lvie all on her own.

So the best best is petititoning for guardianship.

BTW I gather that you are the bf's parent using the girl's login ID, sine she apparently asked the question in the first place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do parents hate their children? [ 18 Answers ]

Why do mothers hate their children?

Children who don't like their parents dating other people [ 20 Answers ]

My mother and father got a divorce when I was younger, and then later on they were thinking about getting back together again. This made me very happy, but death stepped in. My father died:( Now there is a new guy that stepped in my mother's life. He tries to be friendly to me, but I don't...

What age can children choose parents between different states? [ 5 Answers ]

Mi friend wants to live with her dad but her mom won't let her. She is currently living in New York eith her mother. Her father lives in Maine. At what age can she choose what parent she wants to live with? Can her mother refuse to let her live with her father?? Would she have to go through court?

I'm curious about SSD payments to children of disabled parents. [ 1 Answers ]

If a parent is disabled, receiving disability payments and a child is receiving payments, do the child's payments come out of the parents disability payments? In other words, when the child turns 18 or finishes college, does the payment go back into the parents payment or is the child's payment...

Death of Parents of Minor Children [ 5 Answers ]

If something happens to both parents of minor children in Tennessee and they have no will, who will get custody of those children? Will they be placed in foster care. They have maternal and paternal grandparents and this is not likely to happen but what if it does? Should we advise these parents...

View more questions Search