Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Totally Screwed Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jan 29, 2008, 10:23 PM
    Legal separation verses divorce
    Could someone please tell me what the difference is between a legal separation and a divorce. What is the legal differences in obtaining one over the other? I have adult children and I have been separated from my husband for almost 3 years. I am coming into a large settlement soon and I want to get out of the marriage so he won't have any claims to my upcoming money.

If I get a legal separation is that as legally binding as a divorce. Would he be barred from being able to have claim to any of my settlement?:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 04:40 AM
    Usually a legal separation comes before a divorce, in hopes that all differences may be sorted out, sort of a waiting period. If you want no further contact from him and want to get on with your life legally, such as marrying again, you have to obtain a divorce, then there are no further obligations to either party. So you may not be 'totally screwed' after all.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Screwed
    Could someone please tell me what the difference is between a legal separation and a divorce. What is the legal differences in obtaining one over the other? I have adult children and I have been separated from my husband for almost 3 years. I am coming into a large settlement soon and I want to get out of the marriage so he won't have any claims to my upcoming money.

If I get a legal separation is that as legally binding as a divorce. Would he be barred from being able to have claim to any of my settlement?:confused:

I don't know what State you are in but in "many" States a settlement is YOUR money, not co-mingled funds. Same with inheritances.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2008, 08:09 AM
    A legal separation is just an agreement filed with a court that specifies support issues. A divorce severs the marriage. If you are not divorced you are still married, though a legal separation would probably mean any income received would not be commingled. But it means you cannot legally remarry.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Mostly you should be free from interference from your almost ex but there are some settlements that you may receive that he may be entitled to a portion of. You really need to ask a qualified lawyer. If your settlement is from a retirement account then there may be issues. If it's a windfall settlement like personal injury or inheritance or lottory then that would be separate property I believe. Again find a lawyer and get things settled so there won't be any question as to what's going to happen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 04:44 PM
    I would seroiusly advice you to get a local attorney, knowing that a few states are community property states, and of course there is not even a legal separation, which could take months to fight the terms out.

And a lot more issues could happen if you were to die without a formal separation and maybe even a divorce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Separation and Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I married my Tunisian boyfriend in Tunisia in June this year. He then obtained a visa and came to the UK on 10th August. I now know that I have made a mistake and cannot be married to him. He left me to go and stay with his cousin in Kent on 7th September and he will not be coming back to live with...

Legal Separation Pro's and Con's [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, What would I be losing or gaining from getting legally separated from my husband? Live in the state of Virginia,I have a special needs child, I jointly own a home, any other info needed to answer the benefits or disadvatages of Legal Separation please ask. Thank you drsnip:confused:

Need proof cr cards accrued after legal separation [ 1 Answers ]

I legally separated in 2005 when I found that my ex had maxed out a credit card. I later filed for divorce and it became contested. Long horrible story short, my settlement agreement says I have to take on a credit card that I believe was maxed out after my legal separation, but now I don't know of...

Legal separation [ 3 Answers ]

Do you have to go through an attorney to file for a legal separation in Indiana? I cannot find any information on this. A lawyer wants to charge $750.00 for this.

View more questions Search