Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chattycat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Separation & divorce
    My son called me tonight and told me that him and his wife are thinking about separating and he doesn't know what to do. They have a 6 month old baby girl and he doesn't want a divorce. He is crying and has me a wreck. I am so worried about him emotionally. She he leave his house or sleep on the couch . He wants to try and get therpy and try and work it out. What should I do, I am so worried
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 08:01 PM
    First of all, Worrying is not going to do you any good or him any good.

Counseling and Therapy are very important, but it is up to your son to take these steps. Even with counseling there is no guarantee that things will work out. If one partner is the only one working at the relationship it is not going to work.

Having a young baby adds a lot of stress to a marriage but as long as he is willing to get help through counseling and you are willing to be an listening ear and just be there for him when you can.

He needs to go through this experience and learn and grow from it. I understand that it is normal to worry about your child but at the same time he is the one that needs to take steps to try to make it through.

So encourage counseling for sure. Remember that you can not fix everything for your son, even though you feel you have too. I hope everything works out.

Joe
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 08:43 PM
    As the parent, you love him and listen to him and stay out of his businessness.

He should try and get into counseling with her, normally divorce does not happen just because of the actions of one or the other, but things that happen that both people forget to work on after a while.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Sorry about your son's difficulty; as you know divorce is now a fact of life, but like teenage pregnancy, no one knows what to do about it.

You wrote: "She he leave his house or sleep on the couch." He can stay on the couch as long as they are not fighting.

You wrote: "He wants to try and get therapy and try and work it out." What does his wife want to do?

And, your wrote: "What should I do, I am so worried." Be available to listen to him and her, as long as you are not the referee in a fight. Try not to worry about something you have no control over. Keep an ear and eye out for the baby.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Besides listening, and being supportive, try not to worry, or get in his business. He is a big boy, and needs to handle his business.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating While Going Through A Divorce . Without Separation? [ 10 Answers ]

Can someone legally begin seriously dating someone while going through a divorce? He is not divorced yet and had not gone through a separation... just straight into a divorce proceeding. He and his new girlfriend are already planning on getting married after the divorce is final. :eek:

Separation and Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I married my Tunisian boyfriend in Tunisia in June this year. He then obtained a visa and came to the UK on 10th August. I now know that I have made a mistake and cannot be married to him. He left me to go and stay with his cousin in Kent on 7th September and he will not be coming back to live with...

Separation [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is a Canadian citizen. I am an American. We have been married for about a year but separated for more than half that time because of the immigration laws. We married in the US, but 7 months ago when I went to go meet his parents in Canada we found out he could not come back into the US...

Separation [ 9 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this site. I have made up my mind that my marrige is over. I have been married 5 years. I have 2 children by him and two from a previous relationship, that they call him dad. Out of the 5 years we have been married he has only worked maybe 1yr. He refuses to work or do...

Separation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm from Massachusetts, and I'm wondering how do I go about getting a separation on my own without a lawyer. Is this even possible? Someone told me it was. Not sure what my rights are here, because he doesn't want a separation and I do. Please advise... Thank you, Shadow

View more questions Search