Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawdude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Inheritance laws
    If an uncle dies with a will in California, and his nephew is an heir named in his will. What if the nephew dies before any proceeds of will are distributed, and is his wife entilted to any proceeds of the will ?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 12:35 PM
    That is a very interesting question. I am eager to see the thoughts on this one. It seems like it could get very confusing becausing technically since the nepher is no longer living, he can not have a wife, and I do not know if the deceased can inherit anything?

Would it have to go to the nephews estate? In old wills, I have found doing genealogy work, I see it written out so that the money would be left to the nephew and his heirs.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2007, 12:38 PM
    As long as the uncle died before the nephew, then the proceeds of the inheritance get paid to the nephew's estate. Whoever is the beneficiary of the nephew's estate would get the inheritance. However, if the nephew died BEFORE the uncle, then he would no longer be a beneficiary of the estate unless the bequest stated; "my nephew John or his heirs".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

Ok - My wife is ready for a divorce after 7 years. Her father just recently past and left her with a sizable inheritance. According to California law I'm not intitled to any of this money. Is this true? Over the past 5 years my wife has spent more than a year out of state caring for her father. I...

Inheritance [ 5 Answers ]

What is the tax structure for Federal Taxes on inheritance taxes when you receive money from someone's will?

I'm receiving an inheritance from Germany of about $260,000 (after Germany's taxes). What are my federal tax ramifications? (I live in Wyoming). What is the best way to minimize my taxes?

Inheritance [ 4 Answers ]

My husband's grandmother past away over 3 months ago and we are still awaiting the inheritance for him and our children. The lawyer is giving us quite a run-around, and we don't have the best relationship with his other family members. How long does it typically take to receive a check when it is...

My husband will be receiving an inheritance from an Aunt who past away. He will be receiving funds from a 401K account which we were told is all taxable and then from the sale of her home. Need some suggestions on how not to lose too much to Uncle Sam. Any help will be appericated.

View more questions Search