Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    defender_world Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Am I obligated to pay for a non-fathered child if we separate
    I have been married to my wife for almost 2 years now and she made some bad decisions when I was deployed i.e.. Getting pregnant by another guy. We talked things over and decided to stay together, and I was just wondering if I raise this child as my own,which I plan to, if by some chance we separate will I be obligated to pay child support just for taking care of the child when we were together. There is no listed biological father for his safety, and we are residents of Texas.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 10:26 PM

If you adopt the child, yes for sure,

But just because there is no father listed, there is a real father, and they should be paying child support

But in the US, yes, there are some states where if you act in the role of father for some time, you can be responible for child support if you split
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2009, 06:23 AM

There are also some states that if you are married to the mother you are considered the legal father of the child and it cannot be contested. Hopefully someone with some expertise on Texas law will come along. You may want to post this question in the Family Law forum.

Let me ask this: the biological father isn't listed on the birth certificate for "his safety"? Safety from whom?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 10:02 AM

You need to consult a lawyer.

This will vary from state to state, and sometimes local laws come into play.

Let me just say this, though: Either you decide to parent that child, and to be his/her daddy, or you should just leave now. If you are not willing to have that child to be YOURS, your relationship with your wife WILL fail, and you'll be breaking the heart of a child the longer you wait to acknowledge your resentment.

PS--the child being YOURS means that you're going to be willing to pay child support if you separate from your wife later, because you love the child, and want the best for him/her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby Fathered in foreign country from US citizen? How to proceed? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok I have a friend that I am trying to help and I want to ask if anyone know what she should do. The situations is that she had a relationship with a basketball player in Bulgaria(Eastern Europe) while he was living there temporary. He got her pregnant and he left her alone after all. So now he is...

Two children by same mother on 2 separate child support orders? [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has 2 kids with his ex wife. One is 13 the other is 7. They had the 13 year old in 1995, got married in March 2000 and the divorce was final in January 2001 (marriage lasted 10 months). During the brief marriage she became pregnant but wasn't sure who the father was. So in April 2001...

Obligated to Pay? [ 8 Answers ]

My husband found out a few years ago that another woman he'd dated had a son they believed to be his, but paternity was never established. He's tried to have contact with the boy over the years, but nothing has really worked out. The boy is now 16 years old and just this week my husband got a...

Who fathered and conception date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Need help on conception date... Due April 15, 2008. Not positive when my last period was. According to the US, on August 22nd I was 6 weeks, 1 day. Doctor said I would have conceived around the 23rd or 24th of July. Was having marital issues and slept with someone else on...

2 separate child support orders [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently separated (we have a 2yr old who lives with me) and though visitation isn't an issue, child support is. I can't afford a lawyer for the divorce right now but can I still get child support if we are separated (in PA)? Also, he pays child support from a previous relationship...

View more questions Search