Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kayla_erin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 06:25 PM
    I need to get emancipated!
    Hello I am 15 years old, I will be 16 here in may of 2009. I currently am not living at home I am staying at my boyfriends or at my brothers. I have major problems at home my parents are alcholics and do nothing but get drunk and beat me or try and fight me, objects are thrown. Reason I need to get emancipated is because my mother is addicting to fighting with me. She'll call me every night when she's drunk and flip on me for nothing. I have a job and I support myself, feed myself, and cloth myself. I have been living and taking care of myself since I was 12. I just need to get my mother to leave me alone 4 good. Help please!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 06:31 PM

You hire an attorney, prove to the court the danger at home, you will need evidence, brother to testify against them, other witness. Reports of abuse and the such.

You then show them you can live on your own, not with brother, not with boyfriend, but on your own.
    ** and stop living with boyfriend, courts will not look good at that.

Best bet is for brother ( assume he is a adult) let him file in court for custody of you.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Nov 23, 2008, 06:46 PM

It depends what state you are in, but doing this whole"I am in danger at home" could back fire. Some states will take you from the home and you will be "awarded of the state".

Instead find what your states says about emancipation and how you file. You may not need an attorney only the forms and filing fees.

In Texas, as an example, a child does not “divorce” the parents. For a minor to live separately from the parents and have the right to contract-meaning buy cars and rent apartments-the child must go through a court procedure called Removal of Disabilities of a Minor. The law requires that the child requesting Removal of Disabilities of a Minor by the court show: 1) that the minor is at least 16 years old, living separate from the parents, and, 2) the minor is self-supporting and managing his/her own affairs.

Good luck
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ATYOURSERVICE View Post
    It depends what state you are in, but doing this whole"I am in danger at home" could back fire. Some states will take you from the home and you will be "awarded of the state".

Instead find what your states says about emancipation and how you file. You may not need an attorney only the forms and filing fees.

In Texas, as an example, a child does not “divorce” the parents. For a minor to live separately from the parents and have the right to contract-meaning buy cars and rent apartments-the child must go through a court procedure called Removal of Disabilities of a Minor. The law requires that the child requesting Removal of Disabilities of a Minor by the court show: 1) that the minor is at least 16 years old, living separate from the parents, and, 2) the minor is self-supporting and managing his/her own affairs.

Good luck

It's not "awarded of the State" - it's a ward of the State, meaning you are in the custody and under the control of the State.

If you posted the State I missed it - what State?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting Emancipated [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 15 and pregnant and my dad is an alcoholic and he throws me down. I have called the police on him countless amount of times. My mom is fixing to get out of jail but I don't know if she is able to get custody of me. I can't live with my dad anymore and I don't want to go to foster care. I can...

Can I be emancipated? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 15 and pregnant. I am menially abused by my father. There has been physical abuse in the past. I am have a younger brother and a older sister. My mother and father do treat me a lot differently form them. My father is also a drunk. He is mean and abusive when he drinks. He was thrown...

I want to get emancipated [ 1 Answers ]

I need help getting emancipated in menlo park California I'm not sure on how to do it I am 15 about to be 16 in January I have a job and good grades if someone can help me I would greatly appriciate that.

How to have my son emancipated? [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know the steps to take to have my child emancipated? I live in Florida and my so is 15 he is in a lot of trouble with the law and he doesn't want to live with me or his father any longer he says he would rather be in jail. So the only thing I can think to do is have him emancipated. He...

Can I get emancipated? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking intoi emancipation for a while now but it seems as if other people have more complicated story's than I do and they could not succeed. I am 16 years of age and me and my parents have not gotten along in months. My mom was a single parent for most of my life, until my step dad...

View more questions Search