Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roc954honda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 09:18 AM
    When is it considered abandonment?
    Hello,

I have a three year old little boy and me and his mother have joint custody I have him for one month and then she has him only this month she still hasn't came to get him and its been a little over a week now when is it considered abandonment?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 11:26 AM

What definition of the word are you wanting,

1. criminal, that is leaving them at the mall bathroom and walking away.

2. civil to be used to collect child support

3. civil to be used to modify the child custody agreement

And I am sure there are a few more.

First why has she not come, when you called her what did she say?
    roc954honda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 09:01 AM
    The 3rd one is the one that I am referring to last time we talked she knew she had to be hear on the 6th and she hasn't been answering ever since then.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 11:42 AM

It is and well be the opinion of the judge, what you need to do is get your attorney and file.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2009, 12:12 PM

Certainly a week or 2 is not enough. The laws vary from state to state, but I think 6 months would be minimum.

However, abandonment is not the issue here. The issue is the welfare of the child. Since you have joint legal custody, I'm not sure if anything needs to be done.

If your purpose is to get SOLE legal and physical custody, I doubt if a court would do that for a long time. If you want to get temporary sole custody so the mother will have to go to court to show why she should be allowed back in the child's life, then you can go to court right now to see if the judge will suspend the visitation and custody orders.

But abandonment is only a means to an end. The end being a change in custody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long is considered abandonment? [ 1 Answers ]

My step son has been mine since he was three. His mom and dad was never married. She signed joint custody 5 years ago and we have had him ever since. He has never remembered her and only knows me as his mom. She has not seen or talked to him and now she expects to come in ( she lives about 9...

What is considered abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

My sons father hasn't had anything to do with us since I was about 5 months pregnant, now my son is 6 months old. How would I go about getting him for abandonment? I was threatened through out my first 5 months of pregnancy that after my son was old enough he (the father) was going to get him...

What is considered child abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancée has been divorced since May 2000. At that time his exwife and him were awarded shared custody. She was around the kids for a few months and then decided she did not want to be around them any more and she had not seen them until 2008 at a couple ball games? Now my fiancée just got served...

Is ONE year of no visitation considered ABANDONMENT? [ 4 Answers ]

My situation is a little bit complicated, I had a baby boy with an American citizen (NY), I am from Costa Rica (Central America) our son was born here(CR) on 2003, when he was a new born we went to the American embassy and requested the birth certificate abroad, my son who is 4 now has an american...

After how long is abandonment considered? [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé has 2 boys ages 6 and 8 with a mother that is hardly ever around. The mother will go many weeks without contacting the boys. If she decides she really wants the boys to visit they have to be bribed to go to her house. Since August 15th she has not tried to even call the boys. It is now...

View more questions Search