Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vatlam Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 09:12 PM
    Regarding H1B and Taxes for partial of 2005
    Hey Atlanta Tax Expert,

I have gone through all of your expert advises, I found that, you are giving great suggestions to all of the member.

Basically, I have H1B for 2005. I came to USA for the first time in October 4th 2005. Since then I am working with the same company. At the end of 2005, they gave me W2 form.

I know that, I have to submit/pay my taxes to IRA. But I don't know, which form to fill out? I am so confused with the responses given to all 1040 or 1040NR.

As my last year 3 months Income is only $15K, I thought of submitting my returns using online efiling through Turbo Tax Payer suggested by IRA.

Everything went smoothly at the end they put me in confusion that, they do not know whether I should file 1040NR or just 1040 etc.

2. Also, After I gone through this site, I found that, I need to submit for a Extension, I don't know what is it.

With this confusion, I contacted a profession tax submitter, He told me that, no need for Extension or 1040NR etc. He can directly file my taxes, but I was not convinced.

Please do suggest me all the required steps, I know the time is very less, but I am trying for a appointment with H&R but I didn't get it yet, they are busy.

1. Whether, I should file for Extension or not needed?
    2. Which form I should submit 1040 or 1040NR or 1040NR EZ

OR

3. I should just file it through efile using Turbo Tax Payer. (They shoed me that I will get a refund about $3000, including state and federal etc)

I appreciate your suggestions and steps ASAP.

Thanks,
    Prakash.

Apr 13, 2006, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vatlam
    Hey Atlanta Tax Expert,

I have gone through all of your expert advises, I found that, you are giving great suggestions to all of the member.

Basically, I have H1B for 2005. I came to USA for the first time in October 4th 2005. Since then I am working with the same company. At the end of 2005, they gave me W2 form.

I know that, I have to submit/pay my taxes to IRA. But I don't know, which form to fill out?. I am so confused with the responses given to all 1040 or 1040NR.

As my last year 3 months Income is only $15K, I thought of submitting my returns using online efiling through Turbo Tax Payer suggested by IRA.

Everything went smoothly at the end they put me in confusion that, they do not know whether I should file 1040NR or just 1040 etc.

2. Also, After I gone through this site, I found that, I need to submit for a Extension, I don't know what is it.

With this confusion, I contacted a profession tax submitter, He told me that, no need for Extension or 1040NR etc. He can directly file my taxes, but I was not convinced.

Please do suggest me all the required steps, I know the time period is very less, but I am trying for a appointment with H&R but I didn't get it yet, they are busy.

1. Whether, I should file for Extension or not needed?
    2. Which form I should submit 1040 or 1040NR or 1040NR EZ

OR

3. I should just file it through efile using Turbo Tax Payer. (They shoed me that I will get a refund about $3000, including state and federal etc)

I appreciate your suggestions and steps ASAP.

Thanks,
    Prakash.
    Can any body reply to this question please as soon as possible...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Okay, one more time.

If you file immediately, you must file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR. You have not been in the U.S. long enough to qualify as a non-resident alien.

If you file as a non-resident alien, however, you CANNOT claim the standard deduction of $5,000 (the tax treay exemption applies only for students on a F-1 visa).

For this reason, you should wait until June and file as a resident alien under First Year Choice. File Form 4868 to apply for the extension. If you are getting a refund, just mail in the Form 4868; approval is automatic.

If your tax computations show you OWE money, then mail a check with the Form 4868.

Once June 5th has passed, you can file Form 1040 by normal mail. You must attach a statement about your First Year Choice; see IRS Pub 519 as to what to put on that statement.

Apr 16, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Thanks for your suggestion.

Sadly on this Sunday, when I saw your message I was little bit worried. Actually I have already filed my taxes using H&R Block people. They said that I can file 1040 as I have my W2.

So, what should I do now, Will I face any kind of problems from IRS. Please do help me.

Thanks,
    Prakash
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Prakash:

Disregard my answer on the personal message.

My advice is to do nothing! The IRS will probably not notice, and if they do, by the time they act, you will have qualified as a First Year Choice resident alien, making any action on their part a moot point.

Apr 16, 2006, 03:41 PM
    Thank you very very much Sir, I am pretty much releaved now. I appreciate your help. I was very much in tension about IRS, as I know US government is pretty much strict.

Anyway, Thanks once again. You are so helpful to me. I wish you all the best to you.

Thanks,
    Prakash.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2006, 09:02 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where's the partial clog? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, we're having a problem with a partial clog. When the washing machine empties, the back master bathroom toilet bubbles violently and we smell sewer gasses. There is a hall bathroom which is next to the laundry room, and that toilet's water will only waver and not bubble. However, most of the...

Partial or implants [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a lot of dental work done from neglecting dental appointments. My work is all done except for 3 missing bottom molars. For implants and crown, It will cost me around 7000.00. Or for around 2500.00, I could get a bottom partial with 2 back molars on one side, and one back molar on...

Partial Inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

I am the personal rep for my fathers estate. I heard that I can make an early partial distribution of inheritance as long as I have it documented and obtain reciepts from the beneficiaries. It would amount to half of the estimated estate value. The balance would come with the sale of the house...

Partial income statement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a quick question: When preparing a partial income statement for the given company showing the calculation of net sales and cost of goods sold, do all of the following go into it? Inventory 2,841,300 Purchase discounts 376,800 Purchase Returns and allowances 1,322,000 Purchases ...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

View more questions Search